Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lordstannis Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2015, 12:47 PM
    Help with Psychology?
    I have a 5 page paper due in my psychology course, my teacher gave us this scenario:

Jim Jones was unhappy in his marriage. His wife Jane seemed to constantly complain and nag him despite the fact that he tried hard to please her. He frequently brought her flowers and small gifts when he knew she was in a bad mood. If Jane had been particularly abusive he would try to treat her especially nice and might bring her expensive gifts she had mentioned she would like. Other couples commented on how devoted Jim was to Jane. Jim had about had it; however, because though Jane seemed pleased when he brought her something and gave her extra attention, she seemed satisfied only for a day or two then she reverted to complaining and finding fault. You should be able to come up with several hypotheses for each of the questions listed below. The depth of your exploration will be reflected in your grade. Use the terms we have been working with in class.

And I have to answer the following 2 questions:

1. Why does Jane nag Jim? Does it work? If so how?
    2. How is Jim “teaching” Jane to nag him?

My only problem is there is no way I can get 3+ pages out of these two questions. Does anyone have any suggestions to maybe give it a little more meat?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2015, 12:57 PM
    The clue is in your teachers words: "The depth of your exploration will be reflected in your grade. Use the terms we have been working with in class." Start with the terms that you have been working on and expand how this scenario relates to each of the terms. Don't forget to also answer the questions.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 01:01 PM
    I could write ten pages or more!

What are the terms you've used in class? (I wasn't there.)

What are your short answers to the questions -- what are you considering about this scenario?

Oct 6, 2015, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I could write ten pages or more!

What are the terms you've used in class? (I wasn't there.)

What are your short answers to the questions -- what are you considering about this scenario?
    Well, mostly the paper wants to talk about positive and negative reinforcement. I typed out a short answer, but I don't really think it's that simple. Is she not nagging him? I am honestly at a loss here.

also, operant conditioning?

But this is a chapter 5 exercise and we haven't covered chapter 5 all that in depth yet.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lordstannis View Post
    Well, mostly the paper wants to talk about positive and negative reinforcement. I typed out a short answer, but I don't really think it's that simple. Is she not nagging him? I am honestly at a loss here.
    So what can you say about the positive and negative reinforcing that's going on? Has the class been talking about operant conditioning? Skinner?

ADDED***

Screaming!

Timmy doesn't want to eat carrots but his parents keep trying to get him to eat them. At dinner time, if there are any carrots on his plate he will scream and shout until they are taken off his plate. His parents always give in to the tantrums and take away the carrots because his tantrums are becoming increasingly severe and last longer.
    Screaming so Timmy doesn't have to eat carrots is an example of negative reinforcement.

Why is this negative reinforcement?The carrots were present before Timmy had a tantrum. His tantrum then caused his parents to remove the carrots. Timmy's tantrums are getting more severe and lasting longer which suggests this behaviour is increasing, therefore the tantrums are being negatively reinforced by the removal of the carrots.

• Before: carrots on the plate.
    • Behaviour: screaming.
    • After: carrots no longer on the plate.
    • Future behaviour: Timmy will scream when he doesn't want carrots.

Oct 6, 2015, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So what can you say about the positive and negative reinforcing that's going on? Has the class been talking about operant conditioning? Skinner?

ADDED***

Screaming!

Timmy doesn't want to eat carrots but his parents keep trying to get him to eat them. At dinner time, if there are any carrots on his plate he will scream and shout until they are taken off his plate. His parents always give in to the tantrums and take away the carrots because his tantrums are becoming increasingly severe and last longer.
    Screaming so Timmy doesn't have to eat carrots is an example of negative reinforcement.

Why is this negative reinforcement?The carrots were present before Timmy had a tantrum. His tantrum then caused his parents to remove the carrots. Timmy's tantrums are getting more severe and lasting longer which suggests this behaviour is increasing, therefore the tantrums are being negatively reinforced by the removal of the carrots.

• Before: carrots on the plate.
    • Behaviour: screaming.
    • After: carrots no longer on the plate.
    • Future behaviour: Timmy will scream when he doesn't want carrots.

Well, there is no positive reinforcement, not from Jim's side. Jim has to deal with his wife nagging. Is there positive reinforcement from the wife? Maybe by her nagging she is getting the material things she wants?

I don't really understand the concept of operant conditioning.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lordstannis View Post
    Well, there is no positive reinforcement, not from Jim's side. Jim has to deal with his wife nagging. Is there positive reinforcement from the wife? Maybe by her nagging she is getting the material things she wants?

I don't really understand the concept of operant conditioning.
    What is Jim's intent?

Reread your chapter on operant conditioning and Google it, too.

Try this site --
    http://psychology.about.com/od/behav...ntroopcond.htm
    Gecko13 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2015, 03:51 PM
    never mind...responded but then saw it was from Oct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychology [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I am an engineering student who has always been fascinated by psychology .So I downloaded a bunch of books about psychology but it seems there are too many of them and that makes me so confused,I don't know where to start. Could anyone tell me which books should I read first as a...

Psychology [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I had to answer this question for class : Rochelle is taking a test in which she is asked to come up with as many different ways as possible to make use of a straw. This is most likely a test of a) analytical thinking ...

Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

I need two or more schools of thought to compare and contrast lgbtip phobia and heterosexism within three contexts: Yourself, your community and uganda, africa?

Psychology [ 4 Answers ]

What is the nature of consciousness? When not fully conscious, what behavious or mental activities (such as perception, learning) may occur unchanged? What activities occur but function differently? What activities cease?

Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

What is the scope of abnormal psychology?

View more questions Search