Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 12:27 PM
    Linux: backing up to a network drive.
    I have a backup running and I am trying to minimize network traffic in duration as well as cycles on the host computer. IT is a database server. My question is, is it faster to:
    1). Tar the folder right to the network drive ? (tar -zcvf /net/backup.tar.gz *)
    Or
    2). Tar the folder THEN copy it over? (tar -zcvf ~/backup.tar.gz;mv backup.tar.gz /net/.)

Would I even be saving anything?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2015, 04:43 AM
    If you do the Tar THEN copy it over.. you add an extra layer of work but are moving less data from point A to point B across the network as the data will already be compressed.

But its got to be a huge server on a network stretched to its limits to make that much of a difference in my opinion (unless its a really slow network). And for reference....it had to be in the multiple terabytes to be big in my mind much less huge.

Ballpark how much data are we talking....and is it on a 100baseT or 1000baseT network.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 7, 2015, 09:20 AM
    Several gigs on 1gbe.

It is doing a database backup. I was trying to figure out a good way to lessen the load on the server. Have to look at the actual database on the server and not the backup.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2015, 09:41 AM
    Unless the network has a high utilization it can easily move that much data in a matter of minutes. As far as load. Which machine is actually compressing which is where the load will be.. I'm assuming the server being backed up. But if it another machine is handling that load... then the data will be the only concern. Unless either the server or the machine where the backup is stored have really low throughput.

Best option is if it sees a low usage time at any point of the day.. (eg. At night) set it up to happen then.

Its a pretty beefy server if its throughput can even come close to what a gig ethernet can handle. A 4 array disk raid 5 doesn't even come close to it. In fact I can be be moving hundreds of gigs across several different servers before it really impacts the network enough to even be seen streaming a video at 1080p at a high bit-rate. (no tollerance for dropped or re-transmitted packets.)

Unless that thing is thrashed within an inch of its life....and the network is pushing nearly 80%+ utilization ( you start having real problems beyond that point)...you might not even notice either way.
    Asher ross Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Oct 22, 2015, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If you do the Tar THEN copy it over.. you add an extra layer of work but are moving less data from point A to point B across the network as the data will already be compressed.

But its got to be a huge server on a network stretched to its limits to make that much of a difference in my opinion (unless its a really slow network). And for reference....it had to be in the multiple terabytes to be big in my mind much less huge.

Ballpark how much data are we talking....and is it on a 100baseT or 1000baseT network.
    You are right, It will save complete data.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 22, 2015, 07:09 AM
    Figured out what the problem was and it was the database server, old database that hadn't been tuned in quite some time. The way it was used caused certain indexes to grow fabulously. The actual backup process was minimal at best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I connect 2 linux to network? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like some instructions on hooking up 2 computers for networking , sharing files, printer. The 2 machines OS -are linux-one machine as ubuntu 11. The other is fedora10. They both have nic card and they are connected to a router. Could you tell me how?

My Network drive have a red X, how can I connect to the Network [ 5 Answers ]

At work I have a Dell Computer with Vista and some times when I click on Computer and want to get to a Network Drive, it has a red X, how can I connect back to it, we don't have a COmputer person, please Help!

Mapping network drive over wired/wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have a problem and have been looking for an answer for a week or two now. I hope someone here can help me because it's hard for our business to function without this mapped drive. Here's the deal. I manage my company's network, which was until recently shared between two buildings by...

In dual OS mounting a windows drive at susi linux [ 1 Answers ]

In my PC I have installed dual OS windows xp and susi linux 10 I like to use windows files in susi linux How to mount NTFS drive of winxp in the linux in that same system? Thank you Bye,

How to partition hard drive linux installation along with existing windows [ 1 Answers ]

How to partition hard drive linux installation along with existing windows

View more questions Search