Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techtimdavis Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2015, 03:13 PM
    I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 531s that won't boot
    I connect it to power it comes on long enough to show dell splash screen then powers down.

I have disconnected and reseated all components memory and hard drive and other cables including power supply cable. I've cleaned all dust out of machine. It still won't boot past Dell splash screen.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2015, 03:18 PM
    So does it get far enough you can enter BIOS? Or is it shutting down before it allows that? Or is it the Splash screen for the O/S? ( dell does tweak theirs)

Oct 5, 2015, 03:30 PM
    It's the Dell Splash screen can't even get into the bios it wants to rapid power cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    So does it get far enough you can enter BIOS? Or is it shutting down before it allows that? Or is it the Splash screen for the O/S? ( dell does tweak theirs)
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2015, 03:36 PM
    OK.. wanted to remove any doubt there. Any beeps? How old is it? If its more than a couple years old, perhaps the bios battery has failed? It can corrupt the bios settings enough to prevent a boot. I've seen that happen.

Oct 5, 2015, 03:44 PM
    It's at least 5 years old. It beeps once.

OK.. wanted to remove any doubt there. Any beeps? How old is it? If its more than a couple years old, perhaps the bios battery has failed? It can corrupt the bios settings enough to prevent a boot. I've seen that happen.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2015, 03:50 PM
    It might be toast...

THis is a hail Mary pass. Cost you a couple bucks but try the battery.

This link explains the beep stuff in detail.

Understanding Beep Codes on a Dell Desktop PC | Dell US

Oct 5, 2015, 03:54 PM
    Tried a different battery and still the same results. I'm wondering if the power supply is crapping out on it.

It might be toast...

THis is a hail Mary pass. Cost you a couple bucks but try the battery.

This link explains the beep stuff in detail.

Understanding Beep Codes on a Dell Desktop PC | Dell US
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2015, 04:43 PM
    Well a single beep is the following but marginal voltage or current can cause bizarre symptoms

1 Motherboard: BIOS ROM Failure Motherboard, covers BIOS corruption or ROM error
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 08:01 AM
    Try a different power supply. If that doesn't work you might need to cut your loses and put this bad boy to rest. Save the hard drive for any information you might require.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2015, 09:22 AM
    Yea, sounds like a motherboard failure. Agree with above, time to get a new one and get your data off the old hard drive.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Oct 7, 2015, 06:26 PM
    If you got the machine from someone or somewhere else you might want to check the bios jumper was not left on clear bios pins. Also if someone tried putting a different power supply in it, it may not be compatible with a Dell machine. If the motherboard has both onboard video as well as a card, it may be defaulting to that instead of the card. If that were the case as soon as the drivers start to load (card), it would fail with nothing plugged into the onboard video connector. In that case switch to onboard to get to the bios and then set it to the card instead once inside and move back to the card after shutting down. You might consider pulling the CPU heatsink and use new thermal paste as well. That about covers all the things I would check. A failing or shot video card can do that too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Dell inspiron mini 270 power light won't turn off even after switching off [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I've been facing a peculiar problem with my Dell inspiron mini 270 of late. Its power light won't go off even after I switch off the laptop thus indicating that it is still being charged! What is even more strange is that in such a state I cannot restart my laptop until after the...

Dell 1420 power lite comes on then goes right off... won't boot.. Any ideas? [ 12 Answers ]

Ok I went through this with another laptop... gave up and sold it... this one I want to fix.. I just put in new hardrive battery etc. Won't boot... lite comes on goes right off... if I hold power button and function esc.. it tries to power up but doesn't,. any ideas? Maybe remove the cmos...

My Dell Inspiron 530S has application errors and won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dell Inspiron 530S Windows Vista Basic and when I "Log In" a message pops up saying: The application failed to initialize properly (0x000007b). Click OK to terminate the application. Application Errors Included: Utilman.exe AtBroker.exe explorer.exe taskmgr.exe After all those...

My dell dimension e310 won't boot [ 1 Answers ]

I recently took my computer completely apart down to the bare bone so I could paint the case... I put it back together (yes I know what I'm doing, and yes I put it together right), started it up and it won't boot anything, you can hear the hard drive, and the front 1 2 3 4 lights come on. But...

Dell inspiron1501 won't boot up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a dell inspiron 1501. One min it was working fine then I got a white screen. I shut it off and tried to restart it. I can hear the fan and see the power light and the activity light on the cd rom blinking, but I get nothing on the screen... any suggestions

View more questions Search