Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earthtomarty Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2015, 08:02 AM
    Kitten help?
    This kitten is 5/6 weeks old
    So I am raising a kitten without its mother because she tried to kill it, but that's not the problem right now. So the kitten had sever anemia from fleas that we somehow made it through that tough time and one ended up surviving out of the four. So now that the fleas were out of the picture I assumed everything will be fine it's a cute and healthy kitten. I feed it like you're supposed to make sure it pees and poops ( having some difficulty with the pooping though, he pooped for the first time yesterday in around five days). Anyway, about 3/4 days ago everything was fine it was all playful and full of energy and cutely annoying and after it went to sleep and I came in to check on it and it looked a bit off but I assumed that it was just in a very very deep sleep so I left it be to keep sleeping. Then my mum noticed that it was strangely weak. It was so strange it was all full of energy and a few hours later it was like it was dead no energy, it wouldn't move properly and it couldn't hold its head. But eventually it got through that and it was fine like a normal healthy kitten again. ( I assumed it got like this because it might have licked a bit of flea repellent off the floor but after it was fine).
    Then yesterday, it happened again.. it was worse this time, it happened very late at night it went to sleep like the last time and I tried to wake it up and once again it was so lifeless, it couldn't even hold its head up to eat its like it would forget what it was doing.. I tried to move it about to wake it up but nothing. By the end it looked like it was literally dead in my hand, it was like it was dead but still breathing... at one point its tongue was sticking out too so I assumed it was going to die and it was its last moments.. we couldn't take it to the vet because it was late so we just waited it out but eventually it started gaining energy again... So now I don't know I tried to research it online.. could it be worms ? Fading kitten syndrome? Or couse it hadn't pooped in days? We woke up to a little poop this morning. And ALSO its belly was extremelly swollen last night it looked like it could be painful and I assumed it was because of the pooping but I laid it there and gently massaged its belly.
    So if anyone took the time to read that can you please tell me what is wrong with it or what can I do? We cant go to the vet today because it is closed.. I'm afraid in case it happens again and it won't come back to life this time, Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 4, 2015, 10:03 AM
    The mother tried to kill it because she probably thought it would not make it. Sounds like,you have the runt of the litter and was not nursed enough. I can't say distemper unless it has laboured breathing, runny eyes and you have not mentioned that.

It was probably too young to use anything to get rid of the fleas and I hope you didn't give it a bath !

What are you feeding ? I would have to say keep the little thing warm, and because I can't see the kitten, not easy to say what is wrong with it, and don't trust the Internet. Get him to a vet ASAP. Most vets have urgent off hours care so start phoning!

Anc yes, we always take the time to read a post !
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 4, 2015, 04:11 PM
    It is now no longer night time, this has been going on for days, so it's time to make an appointment with a vet.

Sadly we can't diagnose online, no one can, not even a vet. An extended belly but barely any poop could be worms, could be a blockage of some sort, could be cancer, could be many many things.

What did you use to get rid of the fleas? At 5/6 weeks old, it's too young for flea medications. You mentioned that it may have licked flea medication off the floor, so I'm assuming, since there was flea medication on the floor, that you've used flea medication on this kitten. If so, that could be the problem. At that age the only solution to helping keep the fleas down, is a soapy warm bath, or rubbing a newborn kitten down with a warm wet cloth and brushing him/her out. Flea meds can kill a very young kitten. Heck, flea meds aren't really that safe for older cats either, but they can tolerate it better.

It's long past time to get a vet to help you with this little one.

I wish you the best of luck, and please post back how the kitten is doing. I hope it all works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat ran away with 1 kitten and returned without the kitten [ 3 Answers ]

My cat had 5 kittens two weeks ago and this past weekend she ran away with 1 of the kittens. Two days later she returned but did not bring her other kitten. We believe she didn't leave the neighborhood cause our neighbors saw her walking around each night in the neighborhood but did not want to be...

Male cat acting kitten to male kitten after bringing kitten home neutered. [ 1 Answers ]

I have three cats, Microchip, Monk and Minx. Microchip and Minx are 1+ years old and fixed. Monk is about 6 months old. All of our cats used to get along well. They'd sleep all huddled together. The two males were very close. Micro would groom Monk, play with him, and was inseparable. We took Monk...

My Older Kitten hates my new Young Kitten. [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Im hoping someone can help me. I have a 5month old kitten at home who is usually very affectionate and loving (also spayed) Yesterday I rescued a 9 week old kitten so my eldest would have some company when I'm out at work. I knew they wouldn't get on great at first but my...

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

View more questions Search