Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crmille Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2015, 07:19 AM
    Upflush bathroom air vent
    I'm installing an upflush bathroom in my basement. Regarding the air vent, does it have to go straight up through the house and exit the roof or can I run it straight up to my the wood two-by that my house rests on - drill a hole and exit it via a 90 degree elbow through the two-by and the pipe would be pointing horizontally to the outside air?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 3, 2015, 08:29 AM
    Sewer vent should be terminated above the roof. If you terminate it below the roof, the sewer gases will "hang" around your house causing health hazard. It is OK to go through the wall, to the outside, using 90 degree elbows - but once outside, you should continue with the pipe exposed and all the way above the roof. Also, any exposed pipe should be metal, not "plastic."

Hope that helps

Milo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2015, 08:40 AM
    Since the vent both expels and intakes air this should be a dedicated vent out the roof. I agree with Milo that the pipe should be brought up however I see no reason to convert from PVC to metal. Plastic weathers better than metal. Good luck Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 3, 2015, 08:54 AM
    Hi everyone.

I think the first thing we need to establish here is whether the "upflush bathroom" pump is a macerator pump or a sewage ejector system as both have different venting requirements, right?

If Crmille is installing a macerator pump such as a SANIPLUS then the plumbing vents and the macerator system vent can connect together and go out the roof.

If Crmille is installing a sewage ejector then they must have a separate vent for the bathroom plumbing that can connect to other vents in the house or can go out the roof, and a separate, dedicated vent that needs to go out the roof by itself (or may connect into the house vent system in the attic if the local plumbing authority allows that).

Anyway,mCrmille, which system are you installing so we can properly advise...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom with upflush system [ 2 Answers ]

I wish to install a bath room in our basement, I have a upflush toilet system and a utility sink, and I did have a stand alone shower stall which was falling apart at the seams. I have yet to find a replacement shower stall base. The old one was acrylic and was about 6" high with support ribbing...

How do you install an air vent in the basement bathroom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 45 year old tri-level home, the bottom floor bathroom doesn't have an air vent in it. How do I go about putting a air vent in there?

Does bathroom vent+range hood vent need insulated? [ 3 Answers ]

I will be using solid pipe for both. They will be run inside the joist space above a finished kitchen/bathroom. Someone told me that it's a good idea to insulate the first 6ft from the outside wall? Cheers

Upflush Bathroom Stinking up my house [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house with a full upflush bathroom in the basement. It contains a shower, sink and toilet. Also, sharing a wall with the toilet and shower in the living area is a bar with a sink. All these run into the upflush tank which in turn pumps up and out to the septic tank. You...

View more questions Search