Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strangerintown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2015, 08:51 PM
    Raccoon roadkill
    Hello,
    So, I was driving with my family today (on a country road by a big river) we noticed a TON of raccoon roadkill. We all agree that we have never seen so many dead raccoon on the side of the road and I was wondering if anyone has an explanation. The only thing I found on the internet was a similar post where it was suggested that it could be mating season and for that reason the raccoon were out in numbers. But I looked up their mating season and saw that it is jan-june. Would anyone here have an answer, theory or was this just a bad day to be a raccon?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2015, 09:14 PM
    Maybe an unusually large number of Rabies infected raccoons.. could be they had a bumper couple years breeding and there are just more than usual in that area leading to more to be run over. They are usually nocturnal and why they get hit so easily? Hard to see them until they face the lights then its too late.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 3, 2015, 02:26 AM
    Something poisonous in their usual food source.
    Man made disturbance in their habitat drove them out.
    Those are my 2 guesses. You don't say where this was. Call the state DEP.
    strangerintown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2015, 05:18 AM
    This was driving from Missouri to Grafton Illinois by the Mississippi (close to where the Missouri and Mississippi rivers meet). I will definitely make that call I didn't think of that! Good idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raccoon eyes! [ 4 Answers ]

OK I've been bleaching my skin for like 3 months to try to get rid of my acne marks on my face and its been working so far , the only problem is now it looks like I have raccoon eyes, my dark circles are more pronounced now that my face have lightened, the question is am I supposed to use to...

Raccoon hurt my cats? [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I feed stray cats in the neighborhood along with three of our own cats (one an adopted stray). We keep the food inside during the day because of birds, but put it out at night so a passing by stray can eat. Every morning around four my cats wake me up because they want to go outside....

Raccoon Troubles [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, One of my hay-loft cats just had kittens yesterday. I was in the loft last night and noticed two very large raccoons. Do Raccoons eat kittens? I don't want my new babies hurt, but the mom has them so well hidden I can't find them! The may be in the insulation, but I'm not sure!

Questions about Raccoon Vaccines! [ 2 Answers ]

I recently adopted two baby raccoons. They are doing great and growing like crazy. I've now come to the problem of what wormers and vaccines to give my coons, how old should they be, when to give them and how often, and what would be the proper dosage, etc? Any advise would be most welcome!

View more questions Search