Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaileya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2015, 10:13 PM
    Bugs in Chinese Elm/Willow/Aspen Art Sculpture We Commissioned
    Hi,
    We ordered large structure ~1 month ago and it now has a ton of bugs coming out of it. I have attached photos. What are they?

Thank you!
    Attached Images

Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Oct 17, 2015, 10:05 PM
    Your structure is infested with a wood boring beetle. Possibly a powderpost beetle or deathwatch beetle or false powderpost beetle. Depending on the size of your structure, fumigation, freezing or heat are possible treatments. Here is more information: Wood-Boring Beetles in Homes Management Guidelines--UC IPM
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 18, 2015, 03:08 AM
    I agree with Locrian. The pictures would seem to be of Anobid powderpost beetles. Some localities will allow the use of spray on insecticides to control powderpost beetle infestations, but at this stage the spray on treatments may not soak in deeply enough. The sprays will help prevent re-infestation, which is a danger with Anobid beetles.

Edited: I missed the part about it being a sculpture. Your best bet is freezing. Zero Centigrade for 96 hours should kill any eggs still in the wood. If the sculpture is to be outside you still run into a danger of re-infestation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commissioned in Illinois [ 3 Answers ]

As a Illinois notary can I notarize a process server's affidavits from Indiana?

Chinese art HELP Please [ 0 Answers ]

I have image of chinese art in the attachment please anyone tell the meaning of the lines in that image...

Chinese art work - Is it a common souvenir or something unique? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Bas Relief depicting a scene from an ancient Chinese tomb. Anyone know how to find out it's provenance. I've learned that a professional appraisal would cost between $200-$500 with no guarantee. I am in a serious financial situation and therefore unable to pay. This is my last hope. ...

Lithographs,commissioned or regular [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know if there a difference,if any,between the value of a lithograph print,when one is a regular one and one was specially commissioned later on after a run was closed?

View more questions Search