Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alfredkim001 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2015, 12:42 AM
    Why Need a grounding System?
    Why need a grounding system in new factory, office or home . Can without grounding electricity not work properly?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 29, 2015, 01:41 AM
    Absolutely not!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2015, 12:13 PM
    An AC house system can work without a ground. For a number of years, houses did not have grounding wires, only a 2 wire system. Starting in the 50's, code was changed to include this important feature. A ground is a safety item. Let's say you have a bare 120VAC wire sitting on an ungrounded metal case, a washer. When you touch the case, you become the ground and the voltage and amperage will flow through you, possibly killing you. An automobile, on the other hand will not operate without a ground as it is DC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding system connections [ 2 Answers ]

I am putting in a generator with an automatic transfer switch (ATS). The ATS will go between the meter and what is currently the main panel. The ATS has a service disconnect breaker and will become the "main" panel, and what is currently the main will become a "sub" or distribution center. I...

Grounding Electrode system [ 9 Answers ]

What's makes up a grounding electrode system? Then is an EGC apart of this system? If not, explain how it isn't? :cool:

Grounding System [ 1 Answers ]

How was the grounding system working when a ground fault appear, and where the fault current flow?:)

Grounding system [ 1 Answers ]

What is more effective in industrial application.. the HRG (high resistant grounding) system or the low resistant grounding system?

Grounding of an electrical system [ 1 Answers ]

I read the info about ground & believe I understand why it needs to be done & how to do it. My question is this. In the current set up for my house my panel is grounded to the gas system not the water system. The water for the house is nowhere near the electric service closet so grounding to it...

View more questions Search