Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Starkey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2015, 06:45 AM
    Installing Gas Line to Stove
    I am installing a gas stove. The gas supply is directly below the floor where the stove will be and has a T and Shut-off already in place. Can I run a 48" CSST line from the stove, through a hole in the floor and connect it up directly to the existing valve?
    Or must I extend a black pipe extension through the floor first, add a valve and then
    Connect the CSST line to the stove.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 27, 2015, 08:26 AM
    Hi Allen.

You want to extend the shutoff to above the floor and install a 3 ft flexible connector (your state may allow a 4 footer).

No pipe dope on the face of the flare fittings or threads where the flare nut meets the flare fittings...pipe dope goes on the pipe threads of the flare fitting , but not on the threads of the flare fittings/face. Pipe dope goes on all pipe threads (read instructions on the flexible connector).

Test all connections/fittings with a strong soap solution.

Be sure to install the ANTI.-TIP device included with the stove. Do NOT skip this required step... it has saved many lives over the years.

Finally, check to see if a gas permit is required in your state (it is required in all states I know of). If a gas permit is required you may want to let a plumber do this job. Insurance companies will deny any claims that arise as a result of an un-permitted gas appliance.

Good luck!

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2015, 10:10 AM
    Code requires an easily accessible valve. Unfortunately for many people this means BEHIND the stove at floor level. Great unless you have a fire and try to get access to shut off the gas. Our son just did a kitchen cab remake and we installed the shutoff in the cabinet immediately next to the stove and connected a 36" CSST line there. In the last house I built, I installed 2 valves. One is behind the stove and the other is directly under the stove in the basement. Remember, these are really maintenance valves, not emergency shut off valves. If you have a fire, get out, call 911 and shut off the gas at the meter.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 27, 2015, 01:41 PM
    Gas Flex cannot be installed under floor - at least in my area of operation. I suggest you extend rigid pipe above the floor, valve on top of it - then flex to the appliance

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up a gas line to a stove [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a gas stove up to an L.P. line. Using pipe dope on the fittings, will the ribbon type dope like on water fittings work?

Stove gas line to dryer gas connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I need a dryer connection from stove gas line

New Stove - gas line is a different size? [ 51 Answers ]

So I am remodeling my kitchen and I just bought a new Kenmore gas stove. Went to hook up the gas line and the line from the new stove is bigger than the hard line I need to hook it to. Looks like the old gas line may have been 3/4 and the new is an 1in. Neither Lowe's or home depot sell an...

Running New Gas Line to Stove [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my electric stove with a gas stove... Off the 1 1/2" main line in the basement there is a tee, elbow and 3/4" plug, I plan on running the 3/4" black pipe over approx 1 ft, 90deg elbow 8 ft' run and 1' up through the floor, shut off valve, and flex line to the stove. Other appliances...

Stove gas line repair [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've recently acquired a 2 year old stove"brand new" but the main gas line of the stove has a crack in it right where it connects to the gas supply line, is there any way to cut this piece off and connect the gas supply line directly to the stove.

View more questions Search