Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fadedindigo Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2005, 04:53 AM
    I will check all the fuses and the ignitor this afternoon and let you know how it goes.

Is there a way I can use the circuit tester to test the ignitor without getting a new ignitor?

Thanks.

-Dave
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Sep 22, 2005, 05:05 AM
    First, are you sure the car is not getting a spark? Have you tried pulling one spark plug wire off, attaching a known working spark plug to it, make contact between the tip of the spark plug and the strut tower and observe for sparks while someone is cranking the car? Watch out to hold the spark plug by it's top to avoid getting jolted by electricity :)

If all that fails, and your igniter unit has 4 wires attached to it (I'm not sure if there are any differences between 88-91 Civics and Del Sol), then check the FAQ on this forum for instructions how to check the wiring around igniter unit. If the coil is working fine, if all fuses are OK, if ECU is working right and tests for wiring around igniter unit test out fine, then you should replace the igniter unit. Also, try getting someone to loan you a known working igniter - it is the easiest method to test it.

Sep 22, 2005, 03:35 PM
    Hi. I was able to test the ICM and here are the results:

1. Black/Yellow + Ground = ~130 mV
    2. White/Blue + Ground = ~170 mV
    3. Blue + White/Blue = 2.076 K-Ohms

The Haynes manual (the manual is horrible!) says there should be voltage on test 1 and 2.. and there was. The 3rd test should be between 1.1 and 3.3 K-Ohms... and it was.

I haven't checked the fuse yet... I need to figure out how... sorry I'm new at this lol. There is a fuse box on the passenger side under the hood. I saw ones that were screwed down in the box and ones that were smaller and colorful. The ones that were screwed down had numbers written on them like 50A and so on, but the ones that were colorful had smaller numbers like 17 and 10, etc. There were two big ones with 50A on it.

Do I unscrew them to test them?. I pray that its just a blown fuse or something because I am getting angry at this car. If it doesn't start soon I may just have to get it towed or something and fork over the cash.

The car isn't getting any spark. I tested with the spark tester on each of the wires and none of them did anything. I tested it at what it said I should have it set to on the package. I even tried moving the gap on the tester to serveral different distances just to be sure.

Thanks for your help.

-Dave

Sep 22, 2005, 04:20 PM
    Ok, so the ignition coil is working right, and wiring around the igniter unit is fine. I would say you should just replace the igniter unit.

Fuses are just pieces of wire. Check to see if they're burned through. You can see it by looking from above.

I'm 95% sure it's the igniter unit. As I said, TRY to get a known working one and try it out. If it throws a spark after you put it in - buy a new one (or a known working used one).

Sep 23, 2005, 02:44 PM
    Hi there.

I placed an order for a new ignitor unit and it will be here on Sunday.

While I was out, I bought a new fuel filter and replaced it because it hasn't been replaced since we got the car. I tried to start it anyway and still no go.

I hope the new ignitor will start it up and if it doesn't then I'm returning the ignitor and just having it towed unless you have more suggestions.

I will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Thank you for all your help.

Oh.. do you know if the clock in a del Sol uses a fuse because the clock not been working since we've gotten the car.

-Dave

Sep 23, 2005, 03:12 PM
    I know that 88-91 civics use a fuse for the clock. But it's the same fuse that is used for the gauges lighting, turn signal lights, back-up lights, speed sensor, automatic seat belt control unit and some other things. I'm not sure about del sol, but I guess it should not be any different.

Check your fuses under the dash... there should be writing on the panel that you take out to access fuses saying which fuse is used for what.

Sep 25, 2005, 11:55 AM
    Hi.

I got the ignitor unit today. I tried to remove the old ignitor by following the Haynes manual (it told me to remove two screws and pull the unit straight out). My question is, which two screws because I see like 3 screws and 1 of them is very difficult to get to. Anyway, I tried to remove the screws, but they were on there so god damn tight. The screw driver started to strip the screw so I gave up.

Which two screws am I unscrewing?

I can provide a picture if you want one.

-Dave

Sep 25, 2005, 02:23 PM
    You can provide the picture if you want to.

2 screws are 7mm screws. You can take a 7mm wrench or a socket, and undo those. I don't believe you can undo them with a screwdriver if this is the first time in a long time that they're unscrewed. The third one is keeping the wires tightly to the igniter unit. You HAVE to undo that one with a screwdriver. Try spraying some WD-40 on it and trying again.

One other method I've found good is this: Spray it with some WD-40, then take a small hammer and hit it a few times. Not too hard because you might screw something up, but give it a whack or two. It might loosen the nuts some. Do it a few times - spray and whack it. It should come off easier.

----- EDIT -----

I am attaching a picture of a distributor off a '90 CRX with D16A8 in it. You can see 2 holes with 2 screws missing in it. That's where the 2 screws that are holding the igniter unit to distributor are.
    Attached Images

Sep 28, 2005, 01:20 PM
    Hi.

I was able to remove the old ignitor and install the new one. I put everything back the way it was and the car still didn't start. :mad:

What should I do now?

I will have it towed this weekend if it doesn't start by then... the car is pissing me off.

Sep 28, 2005, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fadedindigo
    Hi.

I was able to remove the old ignitor and install the new one. I put everything back the way it was and the car still didnt start. :mad:

What should I do now?

I will have it towed this weekend if it doesnt start by then...the car is pissing me off.
    Are you certain you connected the wires back to the igniter in the correct order?

Oct 1, 2005, 08:12 AM
    Bahhh
    Hi.

I doubled checked the wiring and it is all in the right order. I tested the ignition fuse and it tested okay and when I put the fuse back in the alarm went off hehe. I did find a broken fuse, a 7.5, and the lid said it was a "backup". What is that fuse for? I am replacing it anyway. Anyway, the car still isn't starting. I double checked the wires by making sure they are plugged in tightly, checked the gapping of the spark plugs again too.

-Dave

Oct 1, 2005, 11:24 AM
    I replaced the fuse and it fixed the clock lol. The engine still doesn't start... :mad:
    94yellowsol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 01:00 PM
    The backup fuse is to reset the check engine codes. As far as your larger problem, I've just had the same problem and replaced the ignition coil ($75 at Pepboys). Started right up.
    honkeycat Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2010, 06:59 AM
    IT'S THE MAIN RELAY! Under the drivers side dash and to the left. Get it from a Honda dealer, NOT an auto parts store. It absolutely makes a difference. My 93 del Sol stopped running and the Honda relay got it started again but I am also having pressure problems in the fuel system, the fuel pump runs continuously while the engine is running. Still need help with that if anybody has any ideas.
    rosebudboyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2012, 04:23 PM
    Help I have a 95 del sol.. where is the main relay location at.. car will not start.. getting fire and fuel .new timming belt. New this and rotor fuel pump.is new speed censor is new all fueses that you see are good.. turns over like a dream just won't bust over .I love my cockroach but I see a gun in my furture also what else could it be if this doesn't work..
    rosebudboyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Where is main relay located at on a 95 del sol
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Rosebudboyer, if the CEL comes on for 2 seconds and then goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then focus on the distributor. It sounds like you installed an aftermarket distributor. Over 50% of them don't work at AMHD--the remaining ones are not reliable and are problematic. I would install a new genuine Honda distributor housing with an aftermarket igniter and coil, to keep the cost down.

It's not likely that the main relay is your problem. They become an issue when the car does not start in the heat of the day, due to the cold solder joints expanding on the PCB.
    gatoravi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2013, 01:13 PM
    Hey fadedindigo,
    Did you figure out what the issue was ? My girlfriend has the same problem and I'm trying to fix it !
    Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go...

My Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

I read CroCivic's post about testing your Honda Civic, and there is some great information in there, but I have a 1991 Honda Civic 1.5 liter that won't start, but there is to fault code showing on the computer. The car had just pulled out from a stop at an intersection, and it just died. No...

95 honda civic won't start, help! [ 38 Answers ]

My 1995 civic will not start. I have never had a problem with this car before. The battery is fairly new; only about a year old. It cranks just fine with a normal starting sound, but nothing else happens. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. I thought it was flooded, so I tried starting...

89 Honda CIVIC: No Start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 89 Honda Civic that has not been started in over a year. I put in a new battery and tried to start it. It started and ran very reough for about 10 seconds. Now it has no spark and I don't hear a click when the ignition swaith is turned on. I checked and there is no blink on the ECU light....

88 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have. My Honda Civic recently stopped starting altogether (it hasn't been an intermittent problem, it simply stopped starting one day and hasn't started since). I had been driving it off and on for much of the day, but I the engine...

View more questions Search