Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwyatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Math, Proportions
    Proportions are giving me a hard time so if someone can help me with this issue asap I would appreciate it.

Check out this problem and see if you can solve, And if you do send me back the steps to solve PLEASE!!

97 49.6%
    ___ = ______
    adeena Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Apr 11, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Hi!

First, make sure you understand what the question is asking.

In this case:
    97 is 49.6% of What?

What = X

Next, hopefully you've learned some simple algebra tricks like multiplying both sides of an equation by something.

In this case, you multiply both sides by X and you also multiply both sides by 100. You wind up with this:

49.6 * X = 97 * 100

I'm assuming you can now solve for X.

Hope this helps!

-Adeena
    como143a Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwyatt
    Proportions are giving me a hard time so if someone can help me with this issue asap I would appreciate it.

Check out this problem and see if you can solve, And if you do send me back the steps to solve PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

97 49.6%
    ___ = ______
    To remove a % sign you must move the decimal point two places to the left and make sure if there are no places to add a 0 for each place then simply multiply. Skip the multiply by 100 it means to get rid of the %.

Your math problem is below

.496 X 97 = Since you have moved the decimal the answer you just multiply. If you need to give a answer as a percent requires a % solution you must move the decimal two places to the right and add 0's if needed.

5% X 10
    .05 X 10 After removing the percent five cents off for every dollar 5% or .50 50cents
    bdymo691 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Hey, I'm in high school and have a 98 overall average for math for the year so far. Proportions, I understand can be difficult to understand, so I am going to explain this as simple as I can.

When you have a proportion involving a percentage u have to remember the following formula:

Part %
    _____ = ____
    Whole 100

1)In this case your PART is 97.
    2)Your WHOLE is what you are looking for, so you would label this X.
    3)Your PERCENTAGE is 49.6%
    4)Your PERCENTAGE is ALWAYS going to be OVER 100

To solve this problem, you are going to do the following steps:

1) Multiply 97*100 and the answer should be 9,700
    2) Take 9,700 and divide it by 49.6% and you should get 4811.2. Now you are going to round 4811.2 to the nearest whole number, which in this case is going to be 4811, since the decimal is less than 0.5.

Now you have found your WHOLE. Your answer is 4811.
    messepooh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 04:13 PM
    which value would make the prorrtion correct?
    18/24=
    A.10/18
    B.6/8
    C.24/30
    D.12/9
    messepooh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 04:14 PM
    what value will make proportion (18)/(24) correct ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Math help [ 5 Answers ]

Please help explain this simple equation to me Solve for x -x + 6 = 11 Thx

Math [ 2 Answers ]

Given the functions f(x)=2x and g(x)=2^x, What type of functions are f(x) and g(x)?

Help on Math [ 8 Answers ]

Please help me with the following problem. I can't figure it out. Thanks A total of 270 students are in classes a and b. 30 Students moved into class b from a and then there was twice as many students in class b. Find the original number of students in classes a and b. Off hand I would say...

Help with math [ 2 Answers ]

1.true or false the two parallel sides of a trapezoid are called its legs? 2.true or false the point at the center of the circle may be used to name the circle? 3.true or false part of the circle may be used to name the circle? 4. true or false A line segmentr connecting any two points on a...

View more questions Search