Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Sep 22, 2015, 08:14 PM
    2003 Honda Civic...
    I have a weird one here - so my son has a honda civic, when it was purchased (by my sister, she sold my son the car years later) an anti theft device was installed - its some sort of doohickey inside the car that my son has to hold a key tab thingy in front of before he can start the car (he holds the tab in front of it, it beeps, then he has a window of time to start the car). Sooo, he has lost his keys with the tab thing on it, I have a second key, but not a second tab, I'm trying to figure out what this anti theft system might be called, so I can figure out who to call to get direction on dismanteling it. A while back, some idiot jerk stole all the paperwork out of my sons glovebox, so I have no idea who to call. Does my vague description of the device ring any bells? I'm just needing to know what this device might be called, to clarify, this is NOT a key fob thing that has a bunch of buttons on it, this is just a small tabpiece on a key chain that is held in front of an installed (hidden) device that allows the car to be started. Yikes this sounds confusing, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 23, 2015, 04:14 AM
    Have you taken the device off and examined it on the underside for any info ? Do you have a picture you could post ?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 23, 2015, 01:43 PM
    I'm not familiar with the system that requires a tab to enable start-up but an experienced technician given the time can remove that system and restore it to operate like it was factory original (which I prefer and recommend)
    Movie Expert

Sep 23, 2015, 07:20 PM
    Problem solved - he found his stupid keys with the tab thing. (He had come home past his curfew, then hidden them because he thought I would take them from him. He forgot where he hid them :/) I will send a picture of the tab and the device as best I can - the 'device' (I keep calling it that because I'm not sure what else to call it... ) is truly hidden in the car - you can't really see it, all that is exposed looks like a piece of Velcro down by where the right knee of the driver would be, that is what you hold the tab thing in front of until it beeps... it's a weird set up...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 23, 2015, 08:04 PM
    What happens when you try to use the ignition key without activating it first? Does the ignition come on but it does not start (turn over) or does the ignition not come on at all ?

Im glad he found the fob but really you should remove this thing or atleast create a bypass just in case some day the fob is lost or no longer functions.
    Movie Expert

Oct 18, 2015, 10:17 PM
    I know I said I would post a picture, but - even better - I found the actual description and trade name of the weird device thing I was talking about. It's called 'Magic Start'. A pain in the a-s-s if you lose the 'fob' thing...
    AUTO AND RV DEALER PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Honda Civic keeps overheating [ 6 Answers ]

On 9/7/13 I purchased a Honda Civic 2003 for my car. All appeared to be on with the car, ran a test drive seemed to be fine, no leaks so it is a done deal. We find out shortly after the car is overheating. We took it to a mechanic and they said the head gasket needs to be replaced. We replaced the...

2003 Honda civic ex overheat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 03 Honda civic with 200k miles on it, it's my daily driver mostly city driving and I started noticing that the temperature gauge will randomly start to go up saying its overheating but once I turn the heat on in my car it lowers the temperature and then it stays normal

Honda civic lx 2003 18hp [ 0 Answers ]

I bought a used honda civic 2003 LX I need to know its specs.

2003 Honda Civic EX [ 3 Answers ]

My honda started heating up on my way back from work yesterday. Thought it might be my thermostat, but it turns out the antifreeze is leaking into the transmission. Has anyone heard of this happening? What am I looking at in repairs? The honda has 64000 mi. (I purchased it new) on it, I really...

Honda Civic 2003 EX [ 6 Answers ]

My turn signal/hazards will not work. I have already checked the fuse, it is not blown. I also put another fuse in there to double check, it did not work. What can I do to fix this problem? I do not have time to take it into the shop. I am leaving tomorrow on a road trip out of town. Perfect...

View more questions Search