Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harkplumb Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2015, 07:11 PM
    No dial tone and phone screen reads "Line in Use"
    My sister called my cellphone this morning and said she had been trying to call my landline for a few days and was only getting a busy signal. I removed my landline phone from its cradle and tried to dial out. I got no dial tone and the screen on the phone reads "Line in use". The screen constantly reads "Line in use" even when the phone is hung up. The crazy thing is... sometimes I can still use my internet and WIFI and sometimes I can't. My computer and internet is working right now as I am typing this but my telephone still reads "Line in Use" and no one is on the phone.
    I went outside to the phone box on the side of the house and disconnected the green and red ring and tip wires from their terminals and tested those wires with a handset and found I was getting a dial tone, but as soon as I connect those wires back to their terminals at the box I get either a busy signal or static.
    I have tried disconnecting all of the phones in the house and trying each jack individually with my test handset and all I get is static and no dial tone.
    Any ideas as to what may be going on? My phones were working beautifully two days ago and suddenly this is now happening.
    I have been pretty handy at fixing things like this myself and most of the time it is something simple that is causing the problem, but this time I am really stumped.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 23, 2015, 04:24 AM
    From what your saying the problem appears to be on your side of the phone. Are you using dsl ? If so disconnect all filters and the modem and retry the jacks again with a test phone. Other then that your going to have to trace the wiring as best as you can and isolate each branch circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If one phone line is broken do all phones lose dial tone? [ 1 Answers ]

We have DSL, but no dial tone. There is one wire that ran to an outside wall that might have been disturbed by contractors replacing the siding.

My phone won't get a dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

My home phone will ring if someone is calling but if I answer I get a weird vibrating noise and the speaker won't pick up my voice and I can't hear anything from the other end. My answer machine won't even pick up. It will ring but nothing else. When I press the talk button I get no dial tone. My...

No dial tone with Verizon new phone line [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everybody how's it going? I'm having a problem with a new phone line I ordered from Verizon. There is no dial tone even though they said that the service has been established. I've done the NID test and there is no dial tone from the NID, so I think the problem is there. I think I've...

Phone Line No Dial Tone, But Works with incoming calls [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone here can help me with this. I have only one phone line at home,Verizon landline, with a regular phone connected to a wall, and a panasonic cordless 5.8ghz phone with extra handset. Everything works fine 95% percent of the time but 3 times in the last month when I wake up in the...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search