Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abrown13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2015, 01:38 PM
    Accounting: Adjusting entries
    I am having trouble with this whole concept and problem, so if someone would walk me through it and explain it that would be great:

The prepaid insurance account had a balance of $5,400 at the beginning of the year. The account was debited for $6,000 for premiums on policies purchased during the year. Journalize the adjusting entry required at the end of year for each of the following situations: (a) the amount of unexpired insurance applicable to future periods is $1,000; (b) the amount of insurance expired during the year is $10,400.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2015, 05:30 PM
    That's what your textbook and teacher is for OR, click the link. Please do not double post!

Adjusting Entries | Explanation | AccountingCoach
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2015, 05:59 PM
    The concept is called the Matching Principle which seeks to match the expenses applicable to a period of time to the revenues earned during that period.

The concept applied in this case is to leave only the unextinguished value of the premiums in the prepaid account at year end. The answers are self evident as implied by the question.

The adjusting entry will be betweem the prepaid Insurance account and the insurance expense account reducing the balance of the prepaid insurance account to the "unexpired" balance
    abrown13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2015, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    That's what your textbook and teacher is for OR, click the link. Please do not double post!

Adjusting Entries | Explanation | AccountingCoach

I take online classes that are self-paced. I am not looking for an answer just an explanation. Please do not answer to posts that you have no intention to help with.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2015, 02:31 PM
    Paraclete gave you info: "The concept applied in this case is to leave only the unextinguished value of the premiums in the prepaid account at year end. The answers are self evident as implied by the question".
    Did you read the link I provided? It explains in detail exactly what and how it is done. Read the requirements for posting homework. Show us what you have done and we can go from there. Look at the numbers and note that they do make sense. What $$ did you start with-go from there.
    Your question and comments are telling as to why online courses are difficult. I assume you do have the accounting book for the course?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2015, 03:58 PM
    For situation a, you have to add the beginning amount and the amount of premiums purchased during the year to get your prepaid account balance. Your adjusting entry will be the difference between the prepaid account balance and the amount of unexpired insurance.

For situation b, the amount of the adjusting entry is given to you. It is the expired insurance amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help in Accounting(Adjusting Entries)? [ 1 Answers ]

This is the prob: Prepare the adjusting entries required by the ff information made available to you on December 31,2009, the end of the accounting period: a: On Dec 31, two notes are on hand: 1,500 for 60 days dated December 16,2009 at 14% was received from a customer 1,800 90 days issued...

Accounting - Adjusting Entries [ 3 Answers ]

Which of the following pairs of accounts could not appear in the same adjusting entry? a. Interest income and Interest expense; b salaries payable and salaries expense; c rent expense and prepaid rent; d service revenue and unearned revenue

Adjusting Accounting Entries [ 2 Answers ]

My balance sheet reflects prepaid insurance of $1,200 for Dec 31. It is a 3 year policy that started Jan 1. How do I make adjustments for the year and what should the corrected amount be?

Accounting, adjusting entries [ 1 Answers ]

The Ritz Manor is a popular seaside resort. A double room costs $220 for one night. In order to reserve a room, guests must pay one night’s stay in advance. On each floor of the hotel, Vendalite Company operates vending machines with energy bars, juices, and other snacks for guests. Vendalite...

Accounting Adjusting entries [ 3 Answers ]

Hasterson has a five-day work week and pays salaries of $70,000 each Friday 1 Make the adjusting entry required on July 31, assuming that August 1 falls on a Wednesday. 2 Make the entry to pay the salaries on August 3. Thanks!!

View more questions Search