Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paperpuu01 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2015, 12:22 AM
    Ginger-ale and peanut butter and brussel sprout sandwiches - 80s kids TV movie
    Looking for a 80s kids (probably TV) movie/afterschool special that I saw at a very young age.

A grade school kid embarrasses himself at school in front of the girl he likes, so he pretends to be sick to not have to go to school the next day. When he's home sick, he decides he is going to commit suicide by asking for ginger-ale so he can slip in some stuff from a chemistry set that he thinks will do the job. His best friend, (who has a bowl cut and glasses, uses the catchphrase, "holly cow" frequently, and likes eating penutbutter and brussel sprout sandwiches) camps out in front of his house to see if he will actually do it. Nothing happens because the stuff he puts in the ginger-ale turns out to be harmless.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2015, 09:44 AM
    My son was a kid back then and does not remember this show. I've done my own research and can't find it either, despite your excellent description and clues. Hopefully, someone here will come up with the name.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2015, 07:27 PM
    An idea --- call the children's reference desk at your local publlc library. Someone may remember, or they will check several databases.

Nov 2, 2015, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    An idea --- call the children's reference desk at your local publlc library. Someone may remember, or they will check several databases.
    Thank you, that's a good idea! I'll try that! Thanks so much for your help, hopefully I can come up with a title for this!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2015, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperpuu01 View Post
    Thank you, that's a good idea! I'll try that! Thanks so much for your help, hopefully I can come up with a title for this!
    Please repost here when you find out!

Jul 14, 2021, 01:46 PM
    I know it been years, but I'm back to happily report that I've finally figured it out
    The show in question is called, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH NEIL?", it's an episode from a Canadian anthology series, "FAMILY PICTURES" from 1989.

A few days ago, a redditor PMed me out of the blue in regards to an old reddit post I made about this, he had previously helped figure it out for a friend who gave him the same description but remembered that it aired the same day as the World Cup semi final in the UK in 1990.

He then looked through some old UK TV scheduling archives on the day of the World Cup broadcast, and sure enough, there was a program called "What's Wrong With Neil?" with a matching synopsis that aired on BBC ONE (London) that very day.

Then a contributor on the "Retro Junk" forum ran with that, and tracked down blog post by the writer of the piece, that filled out the rest of the information.

6 years of actively looking for this, and it's finally found!!!

Now the next step is to find a copy, I'm considering emailing the writer to see if he has his own copy, he seems to be open to receiving emails and contact from fans from what he says on his blog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kids and the peanut Butter Question [ 6 Answers ]

Here is a question from the neighborhood kids. You have your knife in the peanut butter. Then you put it into the jam. Contaminating the jam with the peanut butter. One kid said to wipe off the knife each time, making a mess for mom. Or use two separate knives the older kid said?

Ginger ale with bitters and EtG [ 23 Answers ]

I drank two ginger ales (a pint each) with 2-3 drops of bitters in each on a Tuesday evening (about 10 pm-11 pm) and had a UA (probably EtG) on Thursday at 6 PM. So about 40 hours had passed. Should I expect a positive result? I had no idea that bitters contained any alcohol.

Too Much Peanut Butter? [ 5 Answers ]

My 2 year old daughter is going through a phase in which she wants to eat peanut butter every single day. Not a PB sandwich, but just plain PB on a spoon. It's been about 3 weeks now that she has been asking for the PB every single morning. Most days I try to brush it off and give her something...

Name of this 80's movie with peanut butter concauction that makes hair grow? [ 3 Answers ]

This movie has a boy that makes some stuff out of peanut butter that makes his hair grow that really all I remember

Peanut butter and dogs [ 11 Answers ]

Is peanut butter really okay for dogs?

View more questions Search