Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gregweber1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2015, 09:16 AM
    No water pressure from several faucets and shower head
    I am purchasing a home with 4 baths - Home inspection revealed some of the showers and faucets work fine while others have no water at all. Home has 2 water tanks that inspector called out are setup as a split system. Inspection reveals that both the in and out lines into both water heater are hot which indicates the dip tubes are shot and probably need replaced. The inspector said that because one or both of the tanks is failing this is the cause for no water to some of the faucets and one of the shower heads. Is this possible? Could the water heaters as they are setup cause not only hot water but prevent cold water to flow through these faucets?

Home has 4 baths with 4 showers and 3 tubs. Home has 6 bathroom sinks as well.
    One shower head in one bathroom and 3 sinks in different bathrooms have no water flow at all. All shutoffs appear to be open. Inspection reveals a split line dual tank water heater setup. Inspector feels one tank is going bad and is preventing water flow of any type to these fixtures. Both the in and out lines on both tanks are very hot indicating the dip tubes are probably gone. Both tanks will be getting replaced - is it possible that this is the reason we have now water flow at these fixtures as the inspector has suggested?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 19, 2015, 02:37 PM
    nspection reveals that both the in and out lines into both water heater are hot which indicates the dip tubes are shot and probably need replaced.
    That is incorrect. The fact that both the input and output lines are warm only means that there are no heat trap nipples installed or if installed are defective.

The inspector said that because one or both of the tanks is failing this is the cause for no water to some of the faucets and one of the shower heads. Is this possible? Could the water heaters as they are setup cause not only hot water but prevent cold water to flow through these faucets?
    No. The fact that you have not water, neither hot of cold, indicates that either the aerator is clogged or that the stop valves are closed.

Inspection reveals a split line dual tank water heater setup.
    I don't know what that means. Water heaters can be set up in a series or in parallel.
    When in a series the hot water out of one goes to the cold input of the second.
    When in parallel the hot is drawn equally from both. In a house with that many baths, the plumber may get a little fancy with the plumbing in order to satisfy some high demand fixture.

The water heaters have nothing to do with the cold water flow. Turn off all hot water heaters and the cold will still flow.

Since tub and shower don't have aerators, the aerator can't be the problem with the tubs and showers. Some tub ad shower valves do have integral stop valves. In other words they can have a stop valve built into the valve behind the escutcheon plate. It is done that way so you can work on the valve with out shutting down the entire water supply. It is possible integral valves were turn off so that valves could be serviced and not turned back on. As complex as this plumbing sounds it is possible that there is a stop valve some where that has been turned off. One would simply have to follow the piping to find it.

A dip tube is a plastic pipe in the cold water input side of the water heater. Its purpose is to take the incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank. Without it the incoming cold water would simply move directly across to the hot water output. A dip tube can crack, split or just disintegrate with time but that would not affect the flow. It would only affect the mixing of incoming cold with the outgoing hot.

First thing I would do is follow the cold water lines to insure that no stop valves are closed. Next thing would be to remove escutcheon plates to see if valves have integral stops.

Nothing major here. You (or the seller) may have to hire a plumber locate the problem but nothing major.

Your house inspector should not be trying to diagnose plumbing problems. Not knowledgeable enough

Both tanks will be getting replaced -
    No reason to replace a water heater unless it is leaking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure in shower, no shower head [ 0 Answers ]

Shower was fine, not used for several months now no volume. Removed and replaced (same) valve stem assembly. Removed shower head, same problem, put water pressure gauge on shower head arm and it reads 43 psi, hot and cold. What can be the problem? It has been driving me nuts, thanks. ( in N.C. 50+...

I have a new shower head, and only get a low pressure cold water to come out. [ 13 Answers ]

I have a new shower head, and only get a low pressure cold water to come out. It is a Tuscany shower head/ faucet. I called the company's phone line, and they had me a) remove the rotational limit stop, and b) turn the hot & cold water valves which are on both sides of the ceramic cartridge...

Low hot water pressure on some faucets and shower [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced my water softener w/ a GE model number GXSF40H and I have extremely low hot water pressure on some faucets. I also noticed that there is white debris at the spigot. I also have a tankless water heater. How do I solve this issue?

All of a sudden almost no water pressure in bathroom faucets but okay in the shower [ 6 Answers ]

All of a sudden for no apparent reason there is almost no water pressure coming out of the hot and cold water faucets in the sink.The toilet works normal and the water pressure in the shower is just fine.No leak underneath the counter either. {Moved from Forum Help-please pay more attention to...

Sudden loss of water pressure in all faucets (sinks/shower/washing machine) [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, I am hoping someone can help me out. We have a house 30 years old, copper lines, and we are on community water (so similar to city water but just provided by Aqua for the housing development). We had our water pressure drop suddenly this past Thursday (about 4 days ago) and it has not...

View more questions Search