Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stebar4711 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2015, 09:01 AM
    My shut off valve will not allow water to flow even whenb opened up all the way. Why?
    I replaced the internals in my toilet yesterday. Prior to this, I had good flow of water to the toilet. I have replaced the internal valve and the water supply hose. When I turned on the water supply, there was no flow. I removed the valve stem, checked the washers and such, checked to see if there was any obstructions, put it back together again, and still no flow. The rest of the house has good water pressure, but nothing in the toilet tank. Any suggestions? HELP!! :-)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 18, 2015, 09:23 AM
    I removed the valve stem, checked the washers and such, checked to see if there was any obstructions, put it back together again, and still no flow.
    Only one thing left and that is debris blocking the stop valve. That debris is probably solder. If too much solder is used when soldering a vertical pipe joint, the hot solder will run inside the pipe, fall and splatter on a cold pipe. That hot solder will not stick to a cold pipe. It can lay there for years until the water flow moves it to the next valve.

Remove the stop valve, using a container to catch the water, have an assistant turn on the water and flush the pipe. Reinstall the stop valve.

Sep 18, 2015, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Only one thing left and that is debris blocking the stop valve. That debris is probably solder. If too much solder is used when soldering a vertical pipe joint, the hot solder will run inside the pipe, fall and splatter on a cold pipe. That hot solder will not stick to a cold pipe. It can lay there for years until the water flow moves it to the next valve.

Remove the stop valve, using a container to catch the water, have an assistant turn on the water and flush the pipe. Reinstall the stop valve.
    Well, The shut off valve has been in there for a long time, and was joined to a PVC elbow, with almost no extra pipe to cut off and replace the elbow. Never has been solder in it, but it is weird it was working yesterday, until I shut it off to replace the toilets guts. When I first turn it on, it might run for a few seconds, and then just shut down suddenly. I am wondering if there is something in the valve itself that can be jamming up. I am a complete novice when it comes to things of this type, but do know how to think it through logically. This just seems so strange.
    Appreciate your help.

Sep 18, 2015, 10:06 AM
    Sorry just made an assumption that you had copper pipes.
    When I first turn it on, it might run for a few seconds, and then just shut down suddenly.
    That sounds like a loose washer.

and was joined to a PVC elbow,
    Is this a glued on PVC valve or a compression fit chrome valve?

Sep 18, 2015, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stebar4711 View Post
    Well, The shut off valve has been in there for a long time, and was joined to a PVC elbow, with almost no extra pipe to cut off and replace the elbow. Never has been solder in it, but it is weird it was working yesterday, until I shut it off to replace the toilets guts. When I first turn it on, it might run for a few seconds, and then just shut down suddenly. I am wondering if there is something in the valve itself that can be jamming up. I am a complete novice when it comes to things of this type, but do know how to think it through logically. This just seems so strange.
    Appreciate your help.
    Just a quick update, my friend. I did as you suggested, and lo and behold, there was a big bunch of air trapped in the line. Did not find any physical blockage, but once I flushed the line out, the situation is back to a working normal. Thanks so much for the expertise. On to the next problem now. LOL

Sep 18, 2015, 11:15 AM
    Hooray, you deserve an "Atta Boy".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water shut off valve not allowing water to flow [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the water valve on, there water flow does not increase

Taco zone valve 571-2. Water flow not like the arrow in the valve's body. [ 0 Answers ]

I had a Taco zone valve 571-2 installed recently. Later I noticed that the valve is installed with the arrow in body of the valve pointing to the opposite direction of the actual water flow. I called the plumber and he said that this is not a problem and no damage will occur to the valve, the...

Very low gas flow from home NG to bbq... shut off valve, quick-connect problem? [ 5 Answers ]

My natural gas bbq (NOT propane) no longer makes enough heat, so I've done the following: 1) remove burner tubes and ensure they were clear (they have spider protection covers and were clear 2) reassembled and ignited... VERY small flames came out of all 3 burners 3) removed flexible rubber supply...

Outside Main shut off valve not stopping water flow [ 1 Answers ]

We have a handle-type shut off in the ground (dug out hole with cover over it) outside our barn. Even when fully shut off water is dribbling out of the interior faucet. Handle is on PVC pipe. Is there a gasket or something in there or does the entire thing have to be replaced?

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

View more questions Search