Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bensammy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2015, 02:55 PM
    Can I get money back if I paid them in error
    If I paid a company in error, and they cashed the check before I could stop payment. How do I go about getting it back? I sent a letter notifying them it was sent in error & that they should return it. As of (over 3 weeks) they have not refunded the money. I owe the $ to another company so truly need it back
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2015, 04:59 PM
    Do you owe this other company money? If so... no way are you every getting it back.

Sounds really odd they would cash it without an account to credit it against? Pay the company you DO owe money to... first... you may not get this money back for a month or two. What you can do depends on where they are located and where you are located. You have to sue them on their turf in small claims court... if they aren't a local company that may cost you more than the amount of the funds.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2015, 04:45 AM
    Please define what you mean by "in error". Did you not owe them any money? How big is this company? The bigger they are the more bureaucracy you have to sift through to get a refund. If all you have done is sent one letter, then you need to get on the phone and find out what is happening.

You may have to sue them for the refund if you did not actually owe them money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 18, 2015, 06:41 AM
    If this is a large company, and you owe other money, like a balance but monthly payments, that payment will just be credited to your account.

If you do not owe them money, It will show up as a credit balance, in next month statement and at that point you can request a refund.

Again, please explain the "error" do you owe this company money? Making payments?

But even with a small company, They would have to wait and be sure your check is clearing, (if paid for check) and perhaps have rules for refunds.
    bensammy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2015, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Please define what you mean by "in error". Did you not owe them any money? How big is this company? The bigger they are the more bureaucracy you have to sift through to get a refund. If all you have done is sent one letter, then you need to get on the phone and find out what is happening.

You may have to sue them for the refund if you did not actually owe them money.
    I did not owe them money, they did not provide me with any service. It was an error on my part when paying via on line banking. My bank paid who I said to, so not their fault. I have not done business with the company in a long while, nor will I be doing business with them again. Especially being they kept the money! I was told by my bank today, that I could have a case against them as they took money & did not provide a service.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2015, 04:19 PM
    Have you called them? Again how large are they? Has your bank requested return of the funds? Have you called them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2015, 03:24 AM
    You will have to call them and write them. And as noted, yes you will have a suit, but it may be an issue that it will take 30 to 60 days for the accounting to process and refunds to be issues.

A large company, will find your over payment or incorrect payment to an old account number on the next billing cycle, at that point they would have a statement showing an over balance and could issue a refund perhaps on the next billing cycle.

Knowing what type of place was paid, the size of the company, the type of account you had, how long it was since you had an account there.
    You are barely giving information, The first step of any, will be a letter requesting a refund, followed by calling customer service
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2015, 04:27 AM
    And none of that will happen overnight. Meaning it will take time.

I'm curious. How does one accidentally send money to a business they have done no business with and owes no money to? An envelope has to be addressed to them and check filled out and mailed... all of which requires a specific action. Example, sending a check to Ishmael's Widgets required writing one to them and addressing an envelope to them. The wrong check and bill to the wrong place with pre-addressed envelopes I can understand, but you have business with them. I think there is some important information missing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paid bail went to court but never got money back. Need help please [ 1 Answers ]

If my girlfriend in jail and I paid her bail $2500 to get out she had a court date we went to it she paid her fines but we never got the money back they said they will send it to us but never did what can I do to get my money back?

Proof that I paid back money to ex [ 6 Answers ]

I owe some money to my abusive ex-boyfriend. He is being awkward saying that since he gave it me in cash, he wants it back in cash. I really don't want to see him again face to face. Is there anyway I can get the cash to him and get proof that I gave it him? I know it's a longshot but he won't...

Paid supplier twice in error, currently unable to get money refnded [ 1 Answers ]

In error a supplier was paid for the same invoice twice, they have admitted they have received the funds but after constant chasing are unwilling to refund the money, what is best course of action to take to recover the money?

If they paid me in error, do I have to pay it back? [ 7 Answers ]

I was just told that my catastrophic health insurance sent me an $11,000 check last May, that was an accident. The money is long gone. What is my responsibility to repay them when I don't have the money any more. It took them 9 months to tell me. Thanks. Gail

I have paid all the money back which I stole [ 4 Answers ]

I was questioned in taking money from work by means of refunding credit cards... I have paid it all back... can they still drop the charges... They may even give me my job back... I was a great employee that came across a really bad situation... Yes I am in Maryland... Is there any chance the...

View more questions Search