Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kaykat16 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2015, 04:48 PM
    Can I move out at 17 in Missouri?
    Im 16 and I will be 17 in January and I've been told several times that I can move out at the age of 17 in Missouri. But I've also read things that have said I can not. Can someone please tell me what's the real deal? Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2015, 05:00 PM
    If you don't want to live in an old trailer in a trailer park... finish high school and wait until you are 18.

A high school dropout isn't going to find a decent job at all, and its rought for a high school grad to find one without any college.

And at 17, you won't legally be allowed to sign ANY contracts... to buy a car, insure a car, rent anything... etc.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 05:00 PM
    You cannot sign a legal agreement such as a lease until you reach the age of 18.

Sep 14, 2015, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If you don't want to live in an old trailer in a trailer park... finish high school and wait until you are 18.

A high school dropout isn't going to find a decent job at all, and its rought for a high school grad to find one without any college.

And at 17, you won't legally be allowed to sign ANY contracts... to buy a car, insure a car, rent anything... etc.

Okay firstly you don't have a tight to assume where I will or will not end up. You can think what you want but my question was meant to be a yes or no answer with maybe a statement to back up your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You cannot sign a legal agreement such as a lease until you reach the age of 18.
    But I can move out at 17?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2015, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykat16 View Post
    Okay firstly you don't have a tight to assume where I will or will not end up. You can think what you want but my question was meant to be a yes or no answer with maybe a statement to back up your knowledge.

But I can move out at 17?
    Oh we got a rude one... lets get this straight right now... YOU have ZERO life experience... I however have decades of seeing exactly what does happen to kids like you that decide to drop out of school and everything at your age because you know everything there is to know about everything.... it NEVER turns out well. I have seen dozens... you however have seen none. Everything you have figured out? Its ALL going to prove wrong.

You aren't an adult until 18... your parents are legally responsible for you until then... AFTER you turn 18 you can go live under a bridge... or in a dumpster. And they have ZERO obligations to feed, clothe or house you or give you another dime.

So you better think long and hard before you burn your bridges... the adult world is nothing like your fantasies.

And other thing....site rules if you have read them....specifically state that you don't get to dictate who can answer or HOW then can answer

THe LAST people to get hired are the dropouts. THey don't see anything through MOST of the time. THey would rather give them to actual graduates.

Also...they would rather give the full time jobs to adults....another...you will be fired the first time you wise off to a boss....or superior....or argue with co-workers. Wise off to the wrong person on the street...you might find a gun in your face, or a fist. You might not survive the incident. That's the reality of life in the really poor low rent areas high school dropouts live because they can't afford nicer neighborhoods. People get killed every day for disrespecting others. Watch the news..you will see some.

Sep 14, 2015, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Oh we got a rude one... lets get this straight right now... YOU have ZERO life experience... I however have decades of seeing exactly what does happen to kids like you that decide to drop out of school and everything at your age because you know everything there is to know about everything.... it NEVER turns out well. I have seen dozens... you however have seen none. Everything you have figured out? Its ALL going to prove wrong.

You aren't an adult until 18... your parents are legally responsible for you until then... AFTER you turn 18 you can go live under a bridge... or in a dumpster. And they have ZERO obligations to feed, clothe or house you or give you another dime.

So you better think long and hard before you burn your bridges... the adult world is nothing like your fantasies.

No really I had no clue that the "adult world" is much different then many children believe. But you really need to your mouth because you don't know my situation THEREFORE you know NOTHING!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 05:49 PM
    Minors – Age of Majority – Missouri

As used in sections 211.442 to 211.487, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the following terms mean:
    (1) “Child”, an individual under eighteen years of age;
    (2) “Minor”, any person who has not attained the age of eighteen years;
    (3) “Parent”, a biological parent or parents of a child, as well as, the husband of a natural mother at the time the child was conceived, or a parent or parents of a child by adoption, including both the mother and the putative father of a child. The putative father of a child shall have no legal relationship unless he, prior to the entry of a decree under sections 211.442 to 211.487, has acknowledged the child as his own by affirmatively asserting his paternity.Title XII, Chap. 211, §211.442

Age of Majority
    18 (common law)

Emancipation
    If married, minor may convey or encumber real estate if spouse is of age (§442.040)

Contracts
    May be ratified after 18 (§431.060); for real property, may be disaffirmed within 2 years (§442.080)

Ability to Sue
    By guardian, next friend, or court appointed (CR §52.02)

Consent to Medical Treatment
    Minor may consent if: married; treatment is for pregnancy, excluding abortion; venereal disease, drug or substance abuse

See more at: Missouri Age of Majority Law - Age of Majority - Minors

Sep 14, 2015, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Minors – Age of Majority – Missouri

As used in sections 211.442 to 211.487, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the following terms mean:(1) “Child”, an individual under eighteen years of age;(2) “Minor”, any person who has not attained the age of eighteen years;(3) “Parent”, a biological parent or parents of a child, as well as, the husband of a natural mother at the time the child was conceived, or a parent or parents of a child by adoption, including both the mother and the putative father of a child. The putative father of a child shall have no legal relationship unless he, prior to the entry of a decree under sections 211.442 to 211.487, has acknowledged the child as his own by affirmatively asserting his paternity.Title XII, Chap. 211, §211.442Age of Majority
    18 (common law)Emancipation
    If married, minor may convey or encumber real estate if spouse is of age (§442.040)Contracts
    May be ratified after 18 (§431.060); for real property, may be disaffirmed within 2 years (§442.080)Ability to Sue
    By guardian, next friend, or court appointed (CR §52.02)Consent to Medical Treatment
    Minor may consent if: married; treatment is for pregnancy, excluding abortion; venereal disease, drug or substance abuse
    - See more at: Missouri Age of Majority Law - Age of Majority - Minors

Missouri Age of Majority Law - Age of Majority - Minors
    Thank you! Something that answers my question.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 06:33 PM
    I'm not a legal expert, but from what WG (wondergirl) posted, it looks like you should be able to move out and get married if you have your mothers permission to do so.

I would further look into emancipation laws as well for your State, to see what you need to do in order to become emancipated.

Above all do finish school. I can't stress that enough. I have a 17 year old that hates school, wants to quit. My rule is, if he quits high school he better have a job first, a full time job, and he'll be paying rent, and buying his own clothes, shampoo, toothpaste, shoes, underwear, and everything else. The $500 will pay for room and board and that's it. I'm hoping that's a deterrent for him dropping out. A high school diploma is so important. So please do stay in school, and I wish you the best of luck.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 06:58 PM
    In Missouri, you must be at least 15 to get married with parental consent, and must be 18 or older to marry without consent. Only one parent or legal guardian must consent for each party under 18. - See more at: Missouri Marriage Age Requirements Laws - FindLaw

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cost to move a mobile home in Missouri [ 1 Answers ]

What does it cost to have a mobile home moved and set up in Missouri? Within Cass county?

Do I need permission from my kids fathers to move out of Missouri? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to move back to Iowa to be closer to my family I have I have never been married to any of my kids fathers I need to know if I can leave state...

Cost to move mobile home trailer home in Missouri [ 7 Answers ]

How much does it cost to move a used single or double wide mobile home in Missouri, specifically near St. Louis and Jefferson Counties? We are looking around at used trailers for sale and can't decide if we want to buy one that's a good deal on sale price a little farther away and have it moved...

Missouri unwed and pregnant, wanting to move to Washington. Baby's father says NO. [ 30 Answers ]

I am currently 7 months pregnant, living with the father. I have a 9yr old daughter from a previous relationship. I worked until a month ago, and was 'forced' to quit for financial reasons. (Babys dad wouldn't help with anything unless I moved in with him, and he lives far from my job, my hours...

How to file to move out of state Missouri? [ 10 Answers ]

I live in Mo and my ex husband pays no support. But has visitation every other weekend. I want to move to SC with my new husband for job reasons more money to give my kids a better life. Can I if I give him a 60 day notice without all the time in court? We have joint legal custody and I have sole...

View more questions Search