Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fultonfam91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2015, 10:17 AM
    Pressure tank
    We just replaced our pressure tank, check valve etc. The problem is that the gauge drops below the 30/50 and then eventually drops to 0 meaning we have total loss of water pressure. We checked the pressure in the tank. Its' at 28% which is the correct amount. We tried adjusting the pressure gauge and it did not help either. In fact we had to shut the pressure gauge off as it was allowing water to pump up past 60psi.

We are at a loss on this one. Also, we replaced the pump in May of this year. We do have iron in our water. Not sure what else to do with this one.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 12:11 PM
    You replaced the tank, check valve and pressure gauge. What about the pressure switch.

The pressure gauge does nothing except show you what the tank pressure is. The switch is what turns the pump on and off. Once the pump turns off you should not loose pressure. If you do, the check valve is either not installed properly or is defective.

Once the pressure drops to 30# the pump should come back on. Remove the pressure switch cover and watch its action. When pressure reaches 50# you should see and hear the switch points open. When pressure drops to 30#, you should see and hear the switch points close. If that does not happen, turn off power, remove the switch and the small piping to it and make sure that it is not blocked by debris.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2015, 07:40 AM
    We tried adjusting the pressure gauge and it did not help either. In fact we had to shut the pressure gauge off as it was allowing water to pump up past 60psi.
    I think you mean the pressure switch rather than gauge. If that is true, then it would seem that the switch is the culprit. A new 30/50 or 40/60 switch is about 25 bucks. Put in a new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A.O. Smith 60 tank. No pressure at tank tee? [ 2 Answers ]

Pressure shows on gauge at pump, but there is no pressure showing on the gauge at the tee going into the tank.

What is the air value on top of the tank for? Can you add more pressure to the tank.. [ 2 Answers ]

what is the air value on top of the tank for? Can you add more pressure (air) to the tank... and get more pressure out?

With the power turned off to water tank, tank loses pressure fast [ 0 Answers ]

Foot valve has been replaced but now pump won't shut off all the time. When you turn power off tank loses pressure instantly.

What's the difference between a pump tank and a pressure tank [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between a pump tank and a pressure tank? Thanks Mike

Do I need to install a jet pump, a pressure tank and a holding tank? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home with nothing but the 1inch well pipe stemed through the cellar wall. My house is not on town supply line. Do I need to install a jet pump that goes to the pressure tank which then sends water ot a holding tank? Or is the pressure tank by itself all that I would need? Or a...

View more questions Search