Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Izzkhan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2015, 06:42 AM
    Solar sys. Is moving at speed of 800k km/hr then how we see stars at same position
    The entire Solar system is moving at a speed of 800000 km per hour, then how come we see the stars, which are out of solar system, at same position daily. If one object is moving and other not with it then the position must be seen changed.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2015, 09:07 AM
    This is homework. Science homework to be specific. What to you think and why... if you read your textbooks the answer will be clear,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 13, 2015, 11:42 PM
    I do not know of any object that is not moving? What object do you believe is not moving.

If two cars are moving down the road, both at 50 mph, do they appear to be moving to each other?

If you and your friend are in a car moving 80 mph, why do you appear to stay in the same place, relative to the car, to your friend.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 14, 2015, 03:08 AM
    The entire universe is expanding, so our solar system is just a tiny tiny spot in it all.
    The stars you see actually are in different positions relative to you and everything else, but you can't see it day to day.
    A computerized telescope can.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 05:51 AM
    All stars are moving relative to each other. It has nothing to do with the expansion of the universe (the effects of cosmic expansion can only be noticed at very great distances - on the order of millions of light years, which is way beyond our local galaxy group). The stars you see at night are all orbiting about the center of the Milky Way at almost the same speed, but there are differences that can be measured. However, given that all stars (other than our own sun) are all at least 3 light years away, it is very difficult to perceive the movement. Nevertheless over time spans of hundreds or thousands of years this movement leads to changes in the relative positions of stars in the constellations. Here's an interesting video on the subject: The Proper Motion of the Stars of Ursa Major
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2015, 07:33 PM
    ebaines, your video will not open for me, any chance you can re post?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 15, 2015, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    ebaines, your video will not open for me, any chance you can re post?
    Try this:

http://www.lunarplanner.com/StarsPro.../UrsaMajor.mp4
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2015, 01:37 PM
    Think of driving along and watching telephone poles whiz by. Now look at a mountain that is 50 miles away. How fast does it seem to move? Now, as ebaines noted, a star is at least 3 light years away-18 TRILLION miles! It would never seem to move but it does. We just aren't here long enough to see it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

There is a certain strange constellation of stars. It consists of seven stars in tota [ 2 Answers ]

There is a certain strange constellation of stars. It consists of seven stars in total. There are six lines with exactly three stars per line. Draw the constellation.

94 Mercedesebenz e320 - winshield wiper will not run on first speed position [ 3 Answers ]

My 1994 Benz, E320 does not run on first speed when outside temperature is close to freezing as well rear defoger heater goes out at the same time. They work fine all other times. Can you recommend the fix or direct where the problem may be and if a journeyman can tackle to repair himself?

How to position sensor for solar screen [ 4 Answers ]

We have solar screens installed and have to relocate the sensor for the automatic remote control. Where it is now located the screens go down even though they are in the shade. I suspect that that is due to the location of the sensor on the roof. Should it be somewhere below on the wall above the...

Moving stars? [ 5 Answers ]

When you look at the sky, you see a lot of white little dots, probably planets and stars, well, what if you see something similar, about the same size?? I have had answers saying that they are satellites, okay now my question is what is it something about the same size, but instead of a straight...

Moving the toilet 5" from it current position [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom , trying to add space by moving my toilet about 5" over bringing it closer to the exterior wall. Problem, old house, cast iron pipe and lead pipe. the exist iron pipe coming from the wall is facing diagonally with, what I think is brass connecting to the lead pipe, the...

View more questions Search