Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 13, 2015, 05:25 PM
    I'm from LA and live in the suburbs. I can tell you that if you drive into the wrong neighborhood, you'll stick out like a sore thumb, as they say. Don't expect the local law enforcement agencies to come to your rescue. If you don't belong there, stay away.
    ShawnPC Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2015, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    we are trying to keep you from getting robed, beaten, shot or Killed.
    Thank you. I live in a gang area and I go out after midnight and have never had an issue. I will take the same safety precautions I take in my neighborhood.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2015, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnPC View Post
    Thank you. I live in a gang area and I go out after midnight and have never had an issue. I will take the same safety precautions I take in my neighborhood.
    What will you see in the dark? Will you take a flashlight?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2015, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What will you see in the dark? Will you take a flashlight?
    Muzzle flash is one thing that comes to mind.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2015, 10:52 PM
    Gang area at night. LOL. Even the police will not do that alone.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 17, 2015, 02:51 AM
    You really do have a death wish, don't you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 17, 2015, 04:46 AM
    But you are not a stranger in your own neighborhood. You are known so there is no problems. It is strangers wandering around, especially at night, that are in danger.

Frankly, I don't believe you are that dense, I smell troll.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 17, 2015, 05:16 AM
    Did you just move to LA? Where did you grow up or live most of your life? The way you ask questions makes you sound very naive about gangs, territory, 'coveting' territory, all of it. That's not a put down, just an observation about a kind of innocence.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 17, 2015, 06:09 AM
    This will be harsh.

So now you want to cruise/walk through a very dangerous neighborhood at night.

In all honesty I find your plans to be insulting to the people in the areas you want to visit. You are essentially treating other human beings as animals in a zoo that are there for your entertainment. You do not appear to be wanting to help people or have any other positive intentions. Instead, you seem to want to treat their neighborhood as a drive through zoo/animal park. Is that how you want people to treat your neighborhood?

As you should know, not everyone who lives in the gang areas are members of a gang. Many people are just like you and trying to live their lives and deserve to do so without being gawked at by someone who thinks they are an exhibit.

If you want to carry through with your plan and you aren't thinking of the people as just curiosities, why don't you join a volunteer group that tries to help the people? You can probably find a civic or church group.

Keep in mind that if you go by yourself at night, if the gang members don't bother you, the police who do venture into the area or patrol the perimeter will probably think you were there for drugs or other illegal reasons.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Sep 18, 2015, 06:16 AM
    You have covered all of the aspects of the question. Looks like the OP has a
    "Death Wish".
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2015, 06:59 AM
    Nah, I think it's just another example of a keyboard gangster.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Sep 18, 2015, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Nah, I think it's just another example of a keyboard gangster.
    I agree, he must have missed the school bus.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2015, 01:43 PM
    What you will see are some people hanging around here and there, bars on windows of most homes and businesses (that are open), graffiti (some gang related, but much of it actual art), depending on where you go... some pretty historical sites, and the occasional indicator of gang boundary, or relationship to a gang, that you likely wouldn't recognize without knowing what you were looking at.

You may experience no problems at all just passing through, or you may end up being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Obviously, it's a chance you take depending on the decision that you make.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2015, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    What you will see are some people hanging around here and there, bars on windows of most homes and businesses (that are open), graffiti (some gang related, but much of it actual art), depending on where you go... some pretty historical sites, and the occasional indicator of gang boundary, or relationship to a gang, that you likely wouldn't recognize without knowing what you were looking at.

You may experience no problems at all just passing through, or you may end up being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Obviously, it's a chance you take depending on the decision that you make.
    He wants to drive around after midnight.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2015, 07:53 PM
    Three words if they do it... Darwin Award Nominee..

Hey...it sounds harsh...but it weeds a certain element out of the human gene pool. That's just a REALITY of the world. Harsh yes...but reality is harsh.
    Education Expert

Sep 18, 2015, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post

Sorry Doula, you obviously aren't from Los Angeles. Something will happen, and it isn't good. South Central isn't safe for anyone, including the residents. Innocent babies are shot and killed all of the time.

Someone who who doesn't belong will certainly be noticed. It's a fact! People take wrong turns all of the time and end up in horrible situations, especially at night.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2015, 08:19 PM
    And if he's wearing the wrong clothes and even the wrong colors....
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2015, 07:43 AM
    Personally I do not believe this comment they made earlier. People that live in a gang area will by neccessity be street smart as to how gangs treat outsiders... and even known locals.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnPC View Post
    To me this sounds exactly like someone who lived a very sheltered life who watched "Boyz n the Hood" one too many times and has a Utopian concept of what its actually like.

I am fairly comfortable around Hells Angels and Several other clubs... but that's because I know exactly how to respect them and know how NOT to behave around them (I've been to several members houses and have been invited to ride with them on a few occasions). And Unlike street thugs who have no honor... Motorcycle clubs ( most of them anyway) actually have a code and some sort of honor... even if it's a bit different than most other peoples. There are a few that scare the hell out of me and NONE would I walk up to blind without them knowing who I was and what I was doing there.
    Education Expert

Sep 19, 2015, 11:59 AM
    Agreed, Smoothy! You have to know your area. The OP called it " South Central California." That was my clue that he is clueless!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2015, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Sorry Doula, you obviously aren't from Los Angeles. Something will happen, and it isn't good. South Central isn't safe for anyone, including the residents. Innocent babies are shot and killed all of the time. Someone who who doesn't belong will certainly be noticed. It's a fact! People take wrong turns all of the time and end up in horrible situations, especially at night.
    No, not LA, but lived in OC and traveled to and through much of the LA area. Most recently making deliveries in several areas of East and South LA. Certainly there are areas best not traveled, and often these are square blocks, where just outside these areas is not as much of a concern, as you would find in many large cities with known gang territories. The biggest risk comes to other known gang members, but as was said, people do end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Near the largest city where I currently live, that has known gangs, there are streets I wouldn't go through and others that, while I wouldn't be out walking, I don't mind driving through.

I wouldn't get out and walk around in many of these areas in LA, although we did within the grounds of various drops, but driving through was not as much of a concern... although once became a bit concerning trying to locate a yard we needed to get to and we did travel through several streets best to avoid. Turned out to be nothing unusual, but you are just more aware and observant as you should in any area that you know to be questionable.

I think the OP was referring to being out at midnight to the area he currently resides, not necessarily that he meant to go to SLA at night. If so, that I wouldn't do even in areas that are less of a concern. Problems tend to multiply after dark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to make limping puppy comfortable until tomorrow's vet visit. Suggestions? [ 12 Answers ]

My 2-month old rescue pup fell yesterday when he squirmed out of my 12-yr old's arms. From her recounting he was only about a foot off the ground, but his paw squarely hit her music stand. He yelped and whimpered for about a minute until he came to me. He settled down right away. She feels...

Does south african husband needs visa to visit uk if wife has european citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

I have Austrian Citizenship, me and my husband want to visit our son in London, does my husband need a visitors visa?

I have an indian passport with uk Work Permit . Need to visit California , USA on vac [ 1 Answers ]

I have an indian passport and I am working in UK with UK work permit. Can I apply for a Visiting visa to visit California, USA for vacation?

View more questions Search