Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 13, 2015, 04:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by misspurple77 View Post
    I am serious! You seem to misunderstand me. Have you seen the movie?

Within the movie was a play on stage in the 16th century. How were people of the 16th century able to create lightning without electricity!

I am not talking about the moviemakers! I am talking about the people back then! There were no cars, planes, no spotlights, or even petroleum lights in the movie either, only candle lights. So it seemed as if they wanted to recreate 16th century London. How did they emulate lightning in theatres in 16th century London?

So did the moviemakers screw up, did they forget that this wasn't possible in the 16th century, or not? And if not, how did they do that in the 16th century?

You are starting to annoy me, by acting as if I am stupid. This is not a stupid question.
    Starting to annoy you ! I thought I had reached that point. I don't think you are stupid.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 13, 2015, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    But Shakespeare didn't use those.

In the OP's original question it was asked how could they create these effects in the 16th century. That is what I was trying to answer with my response and to what others are responding. Technology of the 16th century theater.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 13, 2015, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    In the OP's original question it was asked how could they create these effects in the 16th century. That is what I was trying to answer with my response and to what others are responding. Technology of the 16th century theater.
    And I had given similar ideas earlier in this thread. But thanks.
    misspurple77 Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2015, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Sheets of thin metal for thunder, flash powder for lightning. They had these thing in the 16th century. "Some had backstage theater experience where they had shaken a metal sheet to replicate thunder or slapped one board against another to create gunshots."
    Did they have flash powder back then? They didn't take pictures yet, there are only paintings from back then, so what did they use flash powder for?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    First... those were plays... not major motion pictures... If you have ever attended a play... you would see the set and any background effects are significantly different in a play than they are ANY movie...They only set the mood. No expectation of reality.

In fact from everything I can remember about Shakespeare from High school English classes.. The set and effects were a far less important part of a play than they are today.
    I have been to plays and to musicals and I am always impressed by the special effects. How they did the tornado in The Wiz was really amazing. The décors were changing all the time.

In the movie Anonymous they portrayed Shakespeare's plays as huge productions back then, compared to the musicals of today. Thanks to this question I know that they didn't do this with Shakespeare's work, but that they did do this with the work of others.

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Starting to annoy you ! I thought I had reached that point. I don't think you are stupid.
    The way you conducted yourself, it sure came across like that to me!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 13, 2015, 01:44 PM
    They had gunpowder and depending on the mix it made a difference on how it burned. Like that seen in fireworks.

Gunpowder Weapons of the Late Fifteenth Century
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 13, 2015, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by misspurple77 View Post
    Did they have flash powder back then?

The way you conducted yourself, it sure came across like that to me!
    Flash powder was invented by the Greeks. How I conduct myself is with the utmost respect for others.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2015, 02:41 PM
    You are aware of the term... "Artistic License"? It means even Documentaries are rarely EXACTLY true to form for the way things were... (and movies rarely are even true to the book even when its fiction)

People are OVER stimulated today... its exceptionally unlikely sets in plays during Shakespeares time were remotely as complex as today's... Kindergarten plays are probably more elaborate visually... and they were excited by that at the time... the focus was on the Actors... not the set.
    misspurple77 Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2015, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    They had gunpowder and depending on the mix it made a difference on how it burned. Like that seen in fireworks.

Gunpowder Weapons of the Late Fifteenth Century
    Thank you, I knew about the gunpowder and the fireworks, I just never realised that you can make it look like lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You are aware of the term... "Artistic License"? It means even Documentaries are rarely EXACTLY true to form for the way things were... (and movies rarely are even true to the book even when its fiction)

People are OVER stimulated today... its exceptionally unlikely sets in plays during Shakespeares time were remotely as complex as today's... Kindergarten plays are probably more elaborate visually... and they were excited by that at the time... the focus was on the Actors... not the set.
    As CDAD had pointed out, they did have this kind of technology in Shakespeare's time. Shakespeare's plays were bare, but other plays, from his contemporaries had special effects such as thunderstorms, including the lightning. Check the link they posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I do for my 16th birthday? [ 1 Answers ]

It's in about 14 days and I don't know what to do. I wanted to go to hotel with friends but my mom said its too much money. I don't want to do anything outdoors and I've already been to the movies on my birthday. I'm going to invite five people and don't want to have it at my house but if I can't...

What to get my boyfriend for his 16th birthday? [ 0 Answers ]

I have this amazing boyfriend who I love very much and his sixteenth birthday is month and a half and I have no clue what to get him:/ He's a baseball player, and he's just soooooo funny:) I don't like when he gets me gifts because I don't want him to ever feel like he has to get me something, but...

Difference between events in Plutarch's and shakespears version of julius Caesar [ 2 Answers ]

For each of the following events: Calpurnia's dream Artemidous letter Assassination I need the following: Facts from plutarch Additions to plutarch (by shakespear) And adaptations for drama

Emulate a 14" display on a 17" monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently changed my old 14" computer monitor to a new ViewSonic 17" (16" display) monitor. I design websites and I want to be able to emulate the *actual size* and resolution of a 14" monitor at 800x600 in my new monitor, to see what the rest of the net surfers see when viewing my pages. Is...

View more questions Search