Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DYC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2015, 03:42 PM
    Proven fraudulent documentation for personal gain at co-worker's expense
    In a competitive sales environment, if one co-worker has repeatedly lied with proven fraudulent documentation, in a attempt to gain financially at a co-worker's expense, would this typically be egregious enough for termination of the deceptive employee?

Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2015, 03:52 PM
    Not in most places if they are a far bigger earner for the company than the other person.

THe guy who brings in $50 million a year in revenue is far more valuable than the person who brings in only $100 thousand

Its up the company to decide what it and isn't.

Best answer you are going to get because you were exceptionally vague with what happened exactly. Meaning we have to make a lot of assumptions.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 11, 2015, 03:54 PM
    It's tempting to say yes, of course.
    BUT
    Hypotheticals don't translate well to a yes or no answer.
    All details needed to even start to guess.
    You are anonymous here.

If a co-worker has does this terrible deed over and over, I for one am puzzled as to why the other worker hasn't taken all the proof he or she has to management.
    If the fear is that the person might remain on the job, that's a risk anyone has to take. People don't always get fired. For one thing, they might be a relative, lover, or friend of someone much higher up in the company.
    Life and work are unfair.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Sep 11, 2015, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It's tempting to say yes, of course.
    BUT
    Hypotheticals don't translate well to a yes or no answer.
    All details needed to even start to guess.
    You are anonymous here.

If a co-worker has does this terrible deed over and over, I for one am puzzled as to why the other worker hasn't taken all the proof he or she has to management.
    If the fear is that the person might remain on the job, that's a risk anyone has to take. People don't always get fired. For one thing, they might be a relative, lover, or friend of someone much higher up in the company.
    Life and work are unfair.
    This can also be applied to "Whistle Blowers" and Politics.. It doesn't always end well.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2015, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    This can also be applied to "Whistle Blowers" and Politics.. It doesn't always end well.
    Exactly... the word Malcontent or back stabber comes up in hushed conversations... deserved or not... promotions don't happen... raises are reduced or eliminated... seen it happen at more than one job. Even when the person might have been morally justified.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Sep 11, 2015, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Exactly... the word Malcontent or back stabber comes up in hushed conversations... deserved or not... promotions don't happen... raises are reduced or eliminated... seen it happen at more than one job. Even when the person might have been morally justified.
    Indeed: I could have presented some examples but though better of it. If you get my drift.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 11, 2015, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Indeed: I could have presented some examples but though better of it. If you get my drift.
    You could have presented examples? Do you mean on the original post? But you didn't post it.
    DYC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2015, 04:20 PM
    This is within a very competitive sales environment and the guilty party IS a big producer... defintiely posting some big numbers. But he has been caught more than once falsifying documentation to benefit himself at a co-worker's expense.It has been brought to management's attention and while they do correct any of the "discovered" fraudenlty documentation, they have chalked it up to "immaturity" and they claim to be trying to "convert" the individuals behavior.Very next week, the lies continue from this individual.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2015, 04:30 PM
    Whine about this and it IS going to sound like sour grapes to anyone in management.

Seriously... seen situations similar to this... you are going to end up on the losing end. Because they ARE going to say you are not a team player... and no whistleblower laws or any law is going to protect you from that.

Best ignore it and work harder on your own numbers. Too many ways this makes you look bad... and you will be who gets hurt worst.

I'm guessing you don't have a lot of years working. Other people WILL look at you thinking you are after them next. Lose - lose situation for you.

Seen it happen almost everyplace I've worked. Nobody will trust you even the Management afterwards.

The real world isn't fair....and having the moral high ground can still cost you your job and reputation. And those two things are more important than being right. You would be surprised how it could follow you in your career. One day you apply for a place....and they notice....someone working there used to work where you did...and they ask them about you....and what they might say gets your resume dumped in the trash.

I've run into people on the job at customers I used to work with 10 years earlier and 6,000 miles away. More than once.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 11, 2015, 06:03 PM
    Management isn't going to do anything.
    Time for YOU to get all the others to gang up on this person. Use your wits. Think of something clever.
    Have outside friends and families call and ask for you to buy your product. If he tries to steal their business, play along as long as they can to keep him from earning a commission. When he gets what's going on, say yep, and you'll keep it up.
    That may be a lousy idea. Think of something.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2015, 05:48 AM
    As it is already obvious, of course a top salesperson will not be terminated for some fraud in contests. They company would most likely fire the lower earning person who complains.

Welcome to the real world.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 12, 2015, 05:59 AM
    Hard to tell if your use of the word fraudulent is accurate, but after correcting his fraud he is still the top earner, you better be VERY careful of complaining about him, or management decisions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2015, 06:32 AM
    First, since most states are "at will employment" one can be terminated for no reason at all. Second, it seems clear, that as long as this salesman produces at this level, the company will do little about it.

I'm curious about what this fraudulent documentation is and, more importantly, how it affects the co-worker. I'm gathering that this has nothing to do with his dealing with the customers. The main question I would have is whether this fraud creates a liability for the company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NonResident aliens sale of personal NYS vacation home capital gain -what forms [ 1 Answers ]

I have a non-resident alien that is selling a personal NYC Condo apt (held as a vacation home) in 2015. He will not have spent anytime in NYC for all of 2015 Besides the IT2663 what forms should he file to report a taxable gain on the sale He is a British Citizen from Wales UK

HIPPAA violation for dentist's personal gain? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey guys, I worked with a general dentist for four years. During my last year with him, he got into the Market America vitamins business & decided he wanted to sell those to the patients. He brought in a Market America rep (who was one of his patients) who created a form for all the patient's to...

How to treat personal expense in partnership [ 3 Answers ]

How to treat personal expense in partnership accounting.. How it show the balance sheet What is the difference between partner account and partner capital account

View more questions Search