Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 11, 2015, 04:33 AM
    Can't find anything readable. C Briggs is stamped under the lid.

As I see it I need to replace whatever that piece is that has the supports. How hard is that? Can I just pull it off then use the kit that Mark showed?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 11, 2015, 05:25 AM
    Post #7

This unit simply pushes down over the old setup...no tools needed!!
    Fluidmaster Complete Toilet Repair Kit-400AKRP10 - The Home Depot

Fluidmaster 400AK Toilet Tank Complete Repair Kit - Walmart.com

Flapper and seat match and will fix the problem. Keep what you don't need for future problems.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 11, 2015, 05:48 AM
    Very simple installation.

Turn off water. Flush all the water in the tank. Dry flapper seat. Place and press the ring of epoxy onto the seat. Remove the epoxy paper cover. Position the flapper mechanism properly, relative to the flush handle. Press the flapper mechanism firmly into epoxy. Connect the chain to the flush handle. There is probably a short drying time but I don't remember how long it is.

Sep 11, 2015, 10:05 AM
    Installing the new one isn't my concern, taking off what is there is the bigger concern. Can I just pull it off?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 11, 2015, 03:55 PM
    The instructions that come with the kits is sooooo easy, you literally cannot screw it up.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2015, 05:42 PM
    Hi Scott.

No, you cannot just remove that part... doesn't just spin off... requires the tank to be removed from the toilet. Instead, try the fluidmaster flapper kit I posted... just ROTATE the unit so it lifts to the opposite side of the hooks you have now. Hkstroud presented good info... it just gets pushed in place (again, rotate so the flapper lifts opposite the existing nubs on your flush valve). This is a cheap, but long-lasting repair. If it doesn't work for some reason just pop back and we can discuss installing the fluidmaster flush valve kit Ballenger posted. However, taking the tank off does present issues that could cause the toilet tank to crack, so try the replacement kit first... it's super cheap and easy to install!

Back to you...

Sep 12, 2015, 06:17 AM
    Thanks Mark, that gives me more confidence. Does it make sense to try and cut off the supports that are there now?

Update: Apparently that piece was from a similar kit, because it did just pull off. Off to the store for a replacement.

Final update. Installation was a snap and after several hours, no leaking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flapper [ 2 Answers ]

We have placed four new flappers on the toilet. Then replaced a new flush, flapper valve system. The flapper continues to leak causing the toilet to run. Then we replaced the new flapper with four different ones. What is the next step?

Flapper [ 1 Answers ]

I don't have a question. Just a coment thanking you for the information of cutting off the O ring to fix my flapper problem. I had been holding the handle for 2 years until it flushed and finally decided to search out an answer. It works perfect and I am amazed that a 15 second cutting off the O...

Flapper valve [ 1 Answers ]

My flapperr valve closes too quickly and toilet does not flush properly

Toilet Flapper ! [ 11 Answers ]

Okay... my father decided to fix the toilets one day for a variety of reasons I won't go into right now... BUT ever since THEY HAVEN'T BEEN RIGHT!! Wish he'd leave my HOUSE ALONE!! Anyway, I digress... The FLAPPER on the 2 toilets aren't working properly. When you flush they stay up for just about...

Toilet flapper won't stay down. It flushes, flapper seats then bobs back up in a sec [ 11 Answers ]

I have shortened the chain, lengthened the chain etc. It finally flushes O.K. & the bowl clears if I hold the handle down for a little bit, the flapper seats then bobs back up and has to be manually pushed down, then it stays. It is a new flapper

View more questions Search