Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shelly reese Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2015, 10:25 PM
    Sewer flies
    I have sewer flies .do they bite you .do the bites itch what do the bites look like?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 10, 2015, 02:53 AM
    Moth flies (also known as drain flies or sewer flies) do not bite. In fact they do not feed. The only purpose of the adult stage is to breed and lay eggs.

That said, their presence indicates a sanitation issue in your drain pipes that could harbor other organisms that can bite or irritate the skin. Tinea fungus (Athlete's foot, Jock itch) can grow in the same moist soapscum buildup that moth fly larvae feed on. Biting midges are found in moist areas. Dust mites can cause persistent skin irritations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

What do sewer flies look like? [ 1 Answers ]

These tiny black bugs I have are mostly in my kitchen but not around the sink.I found a couple on my coat that was hanging on the kitchen chair and a few on the table. It's almost like they are dropping from the ceiling but I don't see any up there. They have legs but no antennae.

How long do sewer flies live in a house where the sewer line has been replaced [ 1 Answers ]

I just had the whole sewer line replaced about 5 weeks ago. We had the camera test done and discovered that the whole line was cracked and opened. We noticed drain flies and gnats all over the house. I am still seeing flies and gnats now that the work is completed. My plumber said that it could...

Sewer flies [ 1 Answers ]

I have read some of the postings about how to eliminate or at least control sewer flies. We have a septic tank and before I purchase any of the products available I want to make sure they are safe for septic tanks. Does anyone have any suggestions? If possible I would like to treat them asap...

Sewer flies [ 6 Answers ]

I am having the sewer/drain fly problem in my house. The house is a ranch on a slab. I have two bathrooms, one with a shower and the other a tub. I had a local plumbing company come in to check this. They found a open drain in the shower and fixed it. (The shower drain pipe was simply...

View more questions Search