Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIYDeeva Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2015, 11:44 AM
    Replacing shower diverter
    My son is replacing my shower. In doing so he's replaced a broken diverter, HOWEVER, he cannot seem to couple the elbows to the existing pipes. He's been soldering it but it's not working. Any suggestions on how to stop the leaks? Thanks.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Sep 8, 2015, 12:17 PM
    Two very important things to make sure one is that nothing plastic is near by where you are trying to solder, the second one is make sure your connections are clean. Using steel wool clean the ends very well. Another thing are you using a non-acid solder and is it solid solder? If it is solid you will need to flux both ends of the connection and apply heat in such a way that it sucks the solder down and around the joint. If your son is doing this, I guess he is familiar with soldering copper.
    Experts should arrive and help you. Just something for you to think about.
    DIYDeeva Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2015, 12:44 PM
    My son works for a contractor, but I'm not so confident of his plumbing skills. Now, I'm not sure whether he's using a nonacid solder. The plumber who originally started the job got sick and left all his tools and supplies and hasn't been back. I'll definitely make sure. It's been years since I've done any soldering and I wanted to make sure I was on the right path.

Thanks!!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 01:41 PM
    Show us a picture of what you son is trying to do. The no-acid solder applies to electronics, not plumbing. Plumbers usually use solid solder and an acid flux.
    Joints must be clean. Apply flux to pipe and inside fitting. Put pipe into fittings. Heat the fitting. When flux liquefies joint is almost hot enough. Heat a little bit more and then touch solder to joint. When solder begins to melt move flame to pipe about 1" away to keep pipe hot. Pipe must be hot enough to melt solder. Do not melt solder with flame. Apply a bead around pipe but do not over use. It really doesn't take much solder.

There can not be ANY water in the pipes.

Show us pictures maybe we can help.
    What kind of torch is he using?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2015, 04:47 PM
    I agree with hkstroud show us a picture before we give you any other instruction he gave you all suggestion that you need please follow and you will be OK, Thanks.

John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 05:31 PM
    So I guess we can assume this is a tub and shower, right. Rarely are the diverters soldered on. There are slip on spouts with a set screw and then there are threaded spouts. Do you know what you have? I am guessing he has a slip on and thinks it must be soldered.
    1. www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS1kthVjPuw

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 08:14 PM
    Is it diverter built into the wall, above temp / volume valve ? Since you solder, I assume you have copper plumbing. Can you post a pic of your situation?

In the interim...

Generally speaking, you CANNOT have ANY water, pressurized or not, inside the pipe to successfully solder a pipe with fitting. Since it is a diverter, there is a chance there is a left over water in one of the branches that is getting into the area you are attempting to solder. If that is true, any water in the soldering area will turn into steam, steam will build up and creates pressure, and eventually will push out solder out from the soldered joint.

Also, did you clean end of pipe and inside the fitting with steel wool before you applied flux ? If there is any corrosion on the pipe, it will prevent solder from sealing the joint.

If the connection too close to the diverter, you got to use very hot flame, like acethylene gas with small tip, to quickly heat up the joint, you apply the solder and then quickly cool it down before heat ruins interior parts of the diverter.

MAPP gas ( the yellow tanks sold in Home Depot) may not do the job.

Back to you

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a shower diverter [ 4 Answers ]

How do you remove a shower diverter that is part plastic and has a clip verus the brass unscrewable ones?

Replacing sterling shower diverter [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a sterling shower diverter with the replacement part price pfister. The spout does not completely shut off when the shower is in use?

Replacing bathtub spout w/shower diverter [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Pegasus bathtub spout with a stuck shower diverter. I contacted customer support and was sent a replacement spout that does not fit. Currently I have a 3/4 inch copper pipe coming out of the wall approx 2 inches. I sent pictures of my application to Pegasus (the one on the left is the...

View more questions Search