Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TWL001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2015, 10:45 AM
    How can I terminate my parental rights?
    I have not seen my son in two years, so I am trying to figure out how to go about it , here in Dallas Tx without having to hire attorneys and what not. I have done so much research online and cant figure out how to go about this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2015, 11:17 AM
    Because you can't. You were responsible for impregnating his mother and that makes you responsible for the child. The only way your rights are going to be terminated is if the mother remarries and her new husband wants to adopt him.

No court, especially not in TX is going to terminate your rights just because you want to get out of the responsibility for your son. I'm guessing here that you are still being required to pay child support and that's why you want out. Not going to happen!

Why haven't you seen your son in 2 years?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 12:10 PM
    Scott is correct. See this.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2015, 12:11 PM
    I think Scott hit it right on the head. Its your kid, you are on the hook for paying your share until your son is at least 18, until the mother gets remarried and IF the new husband wants to adopt. Not seeing him is your problem... one that someday you will likely live to regret.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2015, 03:55 PM
    "I have done so much research online and cant figure out how to go about this?" Not going to happen. Better start saving until 18 or older. Not what you wanted to hear? You did the deed and now you just want to say goodby?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2015, 02:12 AM
    Unless the other custody parent is remarried, and they want to adopt, it can not be done. **Other issues like you a threat to the child, if you are in prison for a long time, can be reasons.

But if you have not seen the child, then you need a visitation order, or you need to go back to court and have it enforced.

Giving up rights, I will assume what you want is to stop making child support payments since you do not see the child? Is that what you really want?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2015, 11:55 AM
    As was said above you can't just terminate your rights. You are allowed not to visit if you don't want to. Why do you want to terminate your rights? If you are upset about not seeing your child in two years you need to go to court to have your visitation order enforced... or try to establish one if you don't already have one. Then the other parent will have to provide your child during your visitation times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminate parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have had custody of this 10 year old girl for the past 4 years and haven't received and support her father is in jail for attempted murder on a police officer my question is can o terminate the rights of her mother and father she hasn't seen either one

Terminate parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

Why can my managingconservativeship of a child, my rights be terminated but the biological rights be terminated and they pay no support but I have to pay

How do I terminate my parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old son that lives in a different state than me. I would like to know how I would terminate my rights to him. There is a divorce decree and I am entitled to 30 days a year with him. I have tried several times to be involved with him and be a part of his life, But he wants nothing...

How do I terminate parental rights? [ 1 Answers ]

My 13 year old sons father has never been a positive part of my sons life. He has gone for year streaches not seeing him. He has been such a horrible parent I can go on for pages. As of last February he stole my sons cell phone, racked up a $800 bill and we haven't seen or heard from him since. I...

Terminate parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son who is 15, used to live with me and my wife. I had physical custody. He became violent and disruptive and very hard to handle. My exwife moved him in with her for a while, but he also got into trouble there. To make a long story short,he now lives with my ex brother in law and he now has...

View more questions Search