Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Sep 7, 2015, 05:28 AM
    Small Appliance / Kitchen-Aid Coffee Maker / Warming Plate...
    We have a Kitchen-Aid brand Coffee Maker approximately 4 yrs old now... The problem lies in the Warming Plate designed to stay Hot for 2 hrs. once the coffee has completed the drip cycle... Works fine , it's the appearance.. The factory baked on enamel (? ) has chipped , pealed off the surface of the Hot Plate..

Wife had gone to Home Depot picked up a Can of Heat Resistant spray paint.. I turned C/M on so hot plate would heat up thereby letting the paint adhere to the surface.. What's happening is, Once a Pot of Coffee has Brewed.. First attempt to pour a cup the Pot has stuck to the Hot Plate.. Hence once you've removed the Pot with great care , paint has stuck to the underside of the pot in a few places.. My Query, is there not a proper Heat Resitent paint available or should we just clean the Hot Plate best we can and leave it be... Advice Appreciated , Cheers Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 7, 2015, 06:01 AM
    Wife had gone to Home Depot picked up a Can of Heat Resistant spray paint.
    Assuming that she purchased Rust-Oleum brand.

I turned C/M on so hot plate would heat up thereby letting the paint adhere to the surface..
    That appears to be inconsistent with the below instructions.

May recoat within 1 hour or after 48 hours, allow paint to dry 1 hour before heating, dries to the touch in 1/2 hour and to handle in 1-2 hours

Sep 7, 2015, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Assuming that she purchased Rust-Oleum brand.

That appears to be inconsistent with the below instructions.

10-4 She knew to get a Paint that would be Heat Resistant as did I.. A Rust-Oleum brand, the Application Instructions said to allow object to stand for 72 hrs allowing paint to fully dry.. That being done, Pot seems to be sticking around the front edge of the hot plate...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 7, 2015, 06:52 AM
    What was on there was baked on ceramic that you won't be able to duplicate at home.

Sep 7, 2015, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    What was on there was baked on ceramic that you won't be able to duplicate at home.

So... What your saying is , Pretty much a lost cause? Can't Recover the Surface, Can't really Repaint / Resurface the Hot Plate?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 7, 2015, 10:11 AM
    That's my belief, and I also believe that you will be inhaling fumes for quite a while.

I threw my coffee maker out. High mineral area, and the plastic parts really stink no matter what.
    I'm much happier pouring not quite boiling water slowly into a cone filter.

Sep 7, 2015, 10:27 AM
    That's my belief, and I also believe that you will be inhaling fumes for quite a while.

I threw my coffee maker out. High mineral area, and the plastic parts really stink no matter what.
    I'm much happier pouring not quite boiling water slowly into a cone filter.
    Thanks for the Comeback.. I've done some detailing and scraped a bit around the inside of the hot plate where the pot stuck the most.. We'll know how well that worked Tomorrow Morning.. lol...

Nov 16, 2015, 08:32 AM
    Sorry for the late Comeback... Took a Rust - Oleum Brand Paint from Canadian Tire.. Added an extra day to the 72hr suggested drying time.. Even had the element turned on without placing the Pot on or Brew Coffee.. Cut a couple pieces of Parchment Paper layed them down so the Pot would have no direct contact with the Burner Plate.. All is Good.. lol..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen aid refigator change fill valve ice maker water dispense worked for couple of [ 1 Answers ]

Change fill valve in kitchen aid ref ice maker and water dispencer work for about three days also change water filter three months ago could filter be bad don't have by pass plug

Bunn STS-35 Coffee maker [ 2 Answers ]

Just bought a STS-35 Coffee Maker (Bunn). Our old Coffee maker was plugged into a 220 socket with a funny looking plug (Vert slot, hor.slot and a ground under it). There is no cable for the new coffee machine... can I take the old power cord off and put it on the new machine? I know the basics 2...

Krupps Coffee Maker [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: This isn't about cooking, exactly. It's about my love/hate relationship with my Krupps coffee maker. Now, it should be understood that Krupps manufactured the ovens that killed my ancestors... and they make a damn fine coffee maker... Now, I KNOW my coffee maker knows that I'm a...

Rewiring 220V coffee maker to 110V [ 4 Answers ]

I want to buy a vintage European coffeemaker with a heating element (220V 50hz) and do whatever is necessary to get it to plug safely into a standard two-prong or three-prong wall outlet here in the USA. I've read some answers here about converting a 220V appliance to 110V, but the answers...

View more questions Search