Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    countrystud1986 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2015, 08:30 PM
    Should I take a teaching sabbatical?
    I'm 29 years old and have been teaching for 6 years now, and I'm experiencing some burnout. Part of this is due to me doing my Master's of Education program in chunks during the past two years. At the end of this school year I'll have that degree, and will have paid off my car.

I feel like I really could benefit from a year off to recharge, reflect, and travel; II have just recently gotten my passport and have never traveled outside of the country. I also love the arts and I feel it would be really fulfilling to be able to return to acting in community plays, practice painting, maybe even start a novel. The area I work in offers a sabbatical program, with two different options. One has a 5 month sabbatical period that pays half of my salary during it, and there's another one that is for a full year that pays 30 percent. Employees who take the sabbatical agree to teach for at least another 2 years.

Has anyone underwent this process before? How did you go about doing it. And for how long? Was it worth it? What kinds of activities/things/plans did you do to make it time well spent?

I really feel overwhelmed, but I don't know how I would approach my colleagues about it if I applied for it. One option I thought of was looking into a volunteer/teaching opportunity part time in a different location, to legitimately use the time for professional growth. I don't plan to do that for the entire year though, as I do need some time to reflect on my career and take in different locations and experiences. I would like some ideas on how I could approach who I need to on this topic to make it more than just 'I need time off'.

Financially, I'm fairly confident I would have enough saved, even with a lot being spent on traveling. I'm a single guy with few external responsibilities outside of work and I feel like I might regret not doing this while I'm still fairly young. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2015, 04:19 AM
    I do understand burn out, but I also understand how hard it is to return to work, after now working. Also "car paid off" how much money do you have saved, to pay for you other bills, that do not stop? I will also assume you are not married and do not have a girlfriend or boyfriend.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 7, 2015, 05:45 AM
    Go for the year off!!!

There, how does that feel? What's your instant first reaction?

(PS: underGONE, not underwent)
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 7, 2015, 09:44 AM
    Do you get your job back upon your return? What about medical insurance while you're off? Teacher burnout is very common. I've never taken a sabbatical, but I've switched teaching assignments. I've gone from high school to middle school to elementary. Sometimes that helps when you can't afford a sabbatical.
    Whre I teach, after a sabbatical, you don't get your former job back. You have to find an open job and take whatever is available.
    You may also need to rethink your choice of careers. Are you sure teaching is for you?
    countrystud1986 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2015, 09:56 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I retain all the benefits and medical insurance that I would if I was normally teaching. I also am able to return to my SCHOOL, not necessarily the grade level I teach. And yes I'll admit that I have been thinking about career choices; there will be more options open once I have my Master's degree, I figured if I truly missed teaching after a year it would help me clarify that; and if not, that I need to go in another direction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2015, 10:41 PM
    But after a year off, you must return to fulfill the contract for taking the time off.
    That could be some bad years of teaching, if you have decided not to teach.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 05:42 AM
    I agree, any career change can only come after you honor the terms of your contract to get this paid sabbatical with benefits. I think I would still take this sabbatical just to recover from the work/school burnout.

The drawback of any vacation/sabbatical or whatever break you take, is eventually it ends and you are right back where you started, but hopefully with a fresh mind and perspective. A whole year off? PAID!?

Where do I sign up?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I work on L2 EAD while I am on Sabbatical for Indian company [ 1 Answers ]

Want to check if it is illegal to work in US on L2 EAD while still on Sabbatical for company in India.

Can I apply for EAD on L2 Visa whilst on a sabbatical? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently on a one year sabbatical from work (job back in India). I have joined my husband (who has a L1) in US on a L2 visa. 1- Can I apply for a EAD here in US whilst being on a sabbatical? 2- Is it illegal to apply for EAD whilst being employed? 3- Is it possible that my Indian...

Okay.. Teaching 'down' [ 18 Answers ]

I've decided that I want my dog to finally learn down. He has easily learned most commands, but this one he just can NOT get. I've tried before and just gotten frustrated. I need alternate ways of teaching him this command. People tell me to use a treat, and lower it to the ground, he will...

Could you teaching me what is next ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have flow 4gal/min, area 0.7858sqin what is velocity in ft/sec? V= Q/A = (4gal/min) /0.7854sqin = V =...

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

View more questions Search