Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WestofYouLB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2015, 05:02 PM
    Single-strands of silk
    We live in Long Beach, California. We moved a year ago from four blocks from the beach to an area with slightly different bugs, birds, trees about five miles inland.

Our patio has single strands of what appear to be spider silk but I have no idea what is spinning the strands. They appear a bit thicker and tougher than spiderweb, and are all single strands, but sometimes where there are several sticks near one another several strands get made.

Never see anything caught on one of the strands. What would make such constructions?

Thanks.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 6, 2015, 04:35 AM
    Those sound like anchor strands for the common garden orb weaver spiders. The anchor strands are normally built from the ground or a low bush up into a tree or building. The spider builds its circular web between anchor strands. The anchor strands can be as long as forty feet. Next time you find one you may see a web above you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are three strands of 12/3 wire running parallel better than one 10/3? [ 2 Answers ]

I had my generator wired directly into my circuit box. I had a 30a 220 breaker, which matches the 30a breaker on the generator. (You get the idea: turn off the service breaker and as many other breakers as necessary; start the generator and turn on its breaker into the box. Not to code, but let's...

What are these strands sticking out of my inner labia [ 1 Answers ]

I am a teenage female and I have these strands of skin sticking out of my inner labia. They are the same color if the rest of my inner labia, and they don't hurt, or itch or anything. They just look VERY weird. I know for a fact its not an std, because when I went to the doctor he didn't say...

Alcohol testing by hair strands [ 3 Answers ]

Does alcohol show up in hair samples

220v Circuit to Barn - 3 or 4 strands? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've strung a 155 foot 2-2/4 underground aluminum cable in conduit 155 feet and 36 inches underground from my barn to the panel in my home which I plan to upgrade from 100 to 200 amps soon. Now, after the trench is filled, my neighbor tells me I must have 4 stands, not three for this...

View more questions Search