Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiredofdrama Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2015, 03:34 PM
    Ex allowed to add to school check out list even though he is non custodial
    So my ex has joint legal and I have sole physical - papers allow him two weekends from fri at 5 until he drops them off at school on Monday morning. He has attempted to check them out for various reasons but isn't allowed due to the court papers. He has a friend in the school office who has allowed him to add his parents onto the school check out list. As the custodial parent who legally has physical custody - can this be allowed? I find it odd that he can't check them out per the court papers, but the "friend" allowed him to add his parents which basically allows him the opportunity to take them. I just found this out, and I will be at the school the first of the week.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 5, 2015, 08:30 PM
    I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are in the U.S. I'd take a set of court papers into the school office on Tuesday. Ask to speak with the Principal and review the list with him/her while you are there. Point out that the grandparents have no right to pick up your child. Also, ask that any changes to the list will be made by you only, and in person.

Sep 5, 2015, 09:09 PM
    I assume you are a teacher. Have you encountered this before?
    Education Expert

Sep 5, 2015, 10:31 PM
    Yes and yes. It's very common. Every teacher should review student records to know what's going on. I have one court order this year. The office staff has a notebook or a computer list they should refer to as each student is picked up. Make it easy by bringing a copy of the court order just in case. They can even call you if someone is trying to pick up your child. A "friend" in the office cannot ignore the court order. Definitely see the principal. Don't blame the "friend." Ask to review the pickup list and point out the error. I've learned over the years that being nice to the office staff makes everything easier.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2015, 12:23 AM
    Does your court papers say that the ex is not allowed to pick them up from school. If he has joint "legal" custody, I find it strange he also would not have legal rights to add his name to pick up the child.

Physical custody merely means who the child lives with, and the child lives primary with you. That does not affect legal custody.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 6, 2015, 04:36 AM
    Since he isn't allowed to have them until 5 pm, and the child will be long gone by then, it sounds like this is merely a logistical problem, rather than an attempt to create a power struggle.
    Is the TIME he is picked up something you two can discuss and negotiate? Is he trying to avoid going to your house? Is 5 pm rush hour? Is it a tough time or some other reason?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 6, 2015, 06:19 AM
    What do you mean by "he has attempted to check them out for various reasons" ?

Also since he has physical custody also as well as legal custody he does have a say as who can pick the child up. Are you trying to keep him off the list entirely ?

Sep 6, 2015, 07:00 AM
    Yes- he gets visitation but it doesn't start until 5. There's no traffic issues and we meet at a designated location.He sent the children to school without their supplies, and they called for them. Instead of bringing supplies- he said they were sick and wanted to leave With them. He has a habit of trying to violate the court orders to make life Difficult. Not returning them, past due support, multiple contempt Issues- I don't understand if I have custody- howCan you feel safe when you drop them at school that he won't Swoop in and take them without me knowing? I wouldJust show up at 3:15 to realize they are gone? Even though I have a courtOrder saying they are in my physical custody?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2015, 07:23 AM
    Unless your court order, says (he can not pick them up) with joint legal custody he should have the same rights as you, in almost any legal issue of the child.

The physical custody, is merely where the child will live. Does the paper work give you a primary legal rights or makes your legal rights higher than his?

If he violates the custody agreement, taking the children, then you take him back to court to modify the agreement to restrict his actions.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 6, 2015, 07:43 AM
    The gist of my question was about his reasons for 3 pm Fri at school instead of 5 pm.
    Sure, you can stop him or his parents, but why, exactly?

I'm presuming that he works and you don't? If he works, it's possible that a 5 pm meeting at a special location isn't always possible for someone after work. Is there something objectionable to his parents?

No matter how awful an ex is, the interest of the children is first, and if this is easier for everyone, why not? Is there a lot of bickering at the 5:00 meeting?

I'm worried that you aren't seeing this from a purely sensible and logistical viewpoint.
    Education Expert

Sep 6, 2015, 08:02 AM
    A school will not release a child with a court order that states a 5 p.m. pickup at 3:15. If the parent complains, local law enforcement will be called and they will determine whether the custody time is clearly listed. It sounds like it is. So, the child will not be given to the father. The issue is that the grandparents have been added to the pickup list. If the father cannot have custody until 5 p.m. then he cannot add his parents to the list for a 3:15 pickup so he can have the kids. The school will err on the side of caution in all disputes. I've seen this hundreds of times. To avoid getting local law enforcement involved, have an addendum with specific additional language for school times.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 6, 2015, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    A school will not release a child with a court order that states a 5 p.m. pickup at 3:15. If the parent complains, local law enforcement will be called and they will determine whether the custody time is clearly listed. It sounds like it is. So, the child will not be given to the father. The issue is that the grandparents have been added to the pickup list. If the father cannot have custody until 5 p.m. then he cannot add his parents to the list for a 3:15 pickup so he can have the kids. The school will err on the side of caution in all disputes. I've seen this hundreds of times. To avoid getting local law enforcement involved, have an addendum with specific additional language for school times.

Correct me if Im wrong but also isnt the list used for emergency situations ? They cant just arbitrarily decide on who can be on the list independent of the parents that have legal custody. After all isnt the primary welfare of the child the first consideration ?

Sep 6, 2015, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Correct me if Im wrong but also isnt the list used for emergency situations ? They cant just arbitrarily decide on who can be on the list independent of the parents that have legal custody. After all isnt the primary welfare of the child the first consideration ?
    There is a separate list for emergency contacts.
    Education Expert

Sep 6, 2015, 01:12 PM
    In a school situation, the custody order takes precedence. Since the OP has custody during school hours, the list of pickup people would come from her. Emergency situations like medical care authorization is a separate situation. In a school setting, we look at custody time and who has physical custody. We aren't lawyers. We'll call the police or sheriff to interpret the custody agreement in a dispute. So, as I have said, if mom has custody until 5p.m. then she would be the only one to pick up the child, or someone she has authorized.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 07:15 AM
    Joy--this isn't about when the father actually has visitation.

This is about the father trying to take the kids OUTSIDE of his visitation time--like the middle of the day on a Wednesday. Absolutely he should not be able to do this.

Sep 8, 2015, 09:39 AM
    It has been resolved. The school is going to uphold the court order. He isn't allowed to pick her up or add to the list without my permission.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2015, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredofdrama View Post
    It has been resolved. The school is going to uphold the court order. He isn't allowed to pick her up or add to the list without my permission.
    You make it sound like they had a choice. They cannot violate a court order at least as long as they know about it. I'm curious however, was anything said about why someone added the grandparents?

Sep 8, 2015, 11:31 AM
    He added the grandparents hoping they could get the kids for him. I will add they aren't on the list because of the grandmother's suicidal tendencies. I don't have a problem with them having contact. This never really should have been an issue-- it's just his 'friend' at the school trying to give him what he wants with no regard for a court order.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You make it sound like they had a choice. They cannot violate a court order at least as long as they know about it....
    Not exactly correct (Strictly speaking, unless the school is a party to the case, it is not bound by orders entered in the case), but no matter: the situation has been resolved.
    Education Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 06:50 PM
    As I said, the school must follow a court order. If there is a problem, local law enforcement is called to decide the outcome. The school should not add anything to a pickup list provided by custodial parent, unless authorized by them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent let 14 yr old quit school. Child is 16, lying about home school [ 12 Answers ]

Custodial parent in Williamsport, Indiana PERMITTED 14 yr old daughter quit school. Now she's 16, and they're lying about home school AND PRIVATE SCHOOL EDUCATION. (1)They do not have internet access/ educational books or enough education or skill to provide home school education. (2) Isn't it...

Is it illegal for a non custodial parent not to add dependent to ssdi claim? [ 6 Answers ]

My 2 children's father was approved to received ssdi benefits. He received a lump sum and is now receiving his monthly checks. I also received a lump sum and am now receiving monthly checks for my children. I recently found out he did not add his other 3 older children to the claim. Can he get in...

Non-custodial parent allowed to extened court ordered [ 1 Answers ]

S the Non-custodial parent allowed to extened court ordered visitation with out agreement from custodial Parent

View more questions Search