Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fewd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2015, 09:05 AM
    Does the amount of water used in cooking affect the energy use
    My girlfriend doesn't understand/believe that foods will cook in the steam from a minimum amount of water (with a lid on). She believes the energy consumption difference between boiling 120cc of water versus 480cc+ is negligible and that I should get a life
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 4, 2015, 09:12 AM
    By food, I hope you mean veggies, rice. Yes of course they cook in steam and retain more nutrients while doing so. In fact I keep the water from steaming to make soup. I don't lose anything.

Prove it it to her by showing her some Google sites!
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 4, 2015, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fewd View Post
    My girlfriend doesn't understand/believe that foods will cook in the steam from a minimum amount of water (with a lid on). She believes the energy consumption difference between boiling 120cc of water versus 480cc+ is negligible
    You're both right. It takes more time and energy to boil 2 cups of water versus half a cup. 159BTU vs 39BTU. Your stove output, when on high, is between 6,000 - 7000 BTU. Considering the output, and the fact that you'll need constant heat to steam, the output from the stove will essentially be the same for both. So you're both right, it does take less energy to boil 120cc of water in the strictest sense, but you'll use the same amount of energy from the stove regardless of the amount of water in the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by fewd View Post
    and that I should get a life
    Pick your battles. Is this something you REALLY want to fight over? Whether you need to get a life is left as an exercise for the reader.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 5, 2015, 10:21 AM
    I use the absolute least amount of water that will cook the food without burning it. Partly for energy saving (time on the burner) and partly to save vitamins.

BUT

There's an old saying: You want something done right, do it yourself. So even though I'm more like you, I'm on her side. I mean, DUH, offer to cook anything that is boiled.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2015, 12:54 AM
    Some things are worth arguing about. Others are not. My wife thinks "hot water" to drink will cure almost anything.

So her idea of "get a life" may be right, forget the argument and let it go.
    joannaparker31 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2015, 11:46 PM
    The amount of water always matters a lot in how well the food is prepared. Be it veggies or non-veg recipes, the amount of water in it defines the consistency, and so, it would reflect on your energy consumption as well. Like, if you wanted a thicker gravy you might have to add more liquids and cook it for long, so as to make the watery part get absorbed well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does the amount of SSI affect the amount of child support? [ 1 Answers ]

My son has downs syndrome and receives SSI. I also receive child support for life due to his handicap. My ex is going for modification. Does the amount of SSI affect the amount of child support?

How does Mr. Blowhard's scheme affect the amount of income that the company would a [ 0 Answers ]

How does Mr. Blowhard's scheme affect the amount of in come that the company would otherwise report in its financial statements.

Determine total amount of energy required to heat water 73500Joules or 4Ah? [ 1 Answers ]

Determine total amount of energy required to heat water to 73500Joules or 4Ah?

How to calculate the amount of energy generated by a generator [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know calculate the amount of energy generated by a generator I mean those electromagnetic induction generator. I know there are some factor to cosider like the strength of the magnet and the speed of the rotation but what is the measurement for these factors and how to calculate...

How much do donations affect amount owed or refunded [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone tell me just how much a tax deductible donation affects the amount you will owe or be refunded on annual returns? We had to pay around $3,000 last year. I would rather donate that, or at least a large portion of that, to my child's school or other organization. If we donate, how...

View more questions Search