Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackwidow1245 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2015, 07:37 AM
    Physics question! Please help me!
    A Plane flies north at 215 km/h. A wind from the east blows at 69km/h. What is the plane's new velocity with respect to the ground in standard position

Please help me! I'm clueless. So far I have,

x=-69km/h
    y= 215km/h

y/x 215/-69 = -3.11594
    I'm not sure what the next step is.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2015, 01:40 PM
    Google "forward airplane velocity when flying in a sidewind".OR (numbers are different as is wind direction but still the same formula)
    When directions as well as magnitudes of speeds are considered, we're into vectors. The resulting speed can be found by finding the resultant velocity via vector rules. The diagram shows a sample vector that represents the magnitude and direction of the airspeed, and another that represents the velocity of windspeed. The resultant is the diagonal of the parallelogram so formed. In this case, the parallelogram is a rectangle. The Pythagorean Theorem (c[2 = a2 + b2) gives the magnitude of the resultant. The angle can be found with a protractor, or a bit of trigonometry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics Question 1 [ 4 Answers ]

A window washer pushes his brush up a vertical window at constant velocity by applying a force F as shown below. The brush weighs 12N and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2. Find the magnitude of force F

Physics question [ 0 Answers ]

How many seconds does it take for sound to travel from a lightening bolt to your ears if the air temperature is 34.7 C and the bolt is 1650 meters away? In this problem the units for the answer are s or seconds

Ask a physics question [ 1 Answers ]

A police car equipped with a radar speed detecting device observes a motorist traveling at a speed of 120 km/h. The police car starts pursuing the motorist 30 s after the initial observation and accelerates to 160 km/h during a 20 s time interval. Assume both vehicules maintain these speeds on a...

Is this physics question right? [ 1 Answers ]

1. 2.6 * 10^5 J of heat were added to 1.1 kg of ice initially at -50 Celsius. Find the amount of ice, if any, that remains. = .3 kg

View more questions Search