Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2015, 04:34 AM
    Insomnia
    Does anyone know what causes insomnia? I hate taking prescription sleeping pills and have been trying some of the natural herbal sleep aids out there with no results. Any suggestions ? Thanks
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2015, 04:34 AM
    Insomnia
    I hate taking prescription sleep meds and am trying to use natural sleep herbs and teas with melatonin and valerian root. Nothing works. Any suggestions from anyone. I am otherwise in fairly good health as a senior lady. Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 4, 2015, 05:47 AM
    Aha, senior! I can relate. There are plenty of studies to show that we not only need less sleep as we get into senior years, but we want to sleep at different times than we did before.
    Going to sleep much earlier is common.
    Waking up frequently is common.
    Daytime naps are common.

I haven't slept much for the last 2 days. First thing I do is not let it bother me. I don't have a job to go to, and my main routine is around my pets.
    2: I get up when I can't sleep. VERY important. I turn on both the TV and the computer. I check Facebook, this site, and Scrabble. There's almost always someone on or at least to reply to.
    3: Stop eating 3 hours before sleep.
    4: Cut down on liquids then too, but drink if you are thirsty. Just no caffeine or sugary drinks.
    5: Think about how you are positioned in bed, and where your pillow is, and if you are actually comfortable. (I have a lot of pain so give this a lot of thought. Just something like whether your neck is angled too high or low makes a difference.)
    6: I do take one Tylenol and one ibuprofin about 20 minutes before bed. I try to avoid liquids if I can at night to cut down on waking up to urinate.
    7: Avoid stimulating TV or music or arguing online.
    8: Recite a poem or hum a song like Let It Be when you first get in bed. My favorite poem is the Song of the Wandering Aengus.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 4, 2015, 05:58 AM
    Babies are born with a natural sleep aid already in our bodies called melatonin. It decreases as we get older. You can buy the melatonin supplement but you must not already have a mindset that a herbal will not work when actually it works quite well.

I am a 72 year old woman who sleeps very well. I work a full time job. So that may have a lot to do with it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 4, 2015, 06:16 AM
    I agree that a job has a lot to do with being able to sleep!
    Camm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2015, 08:43 PM
    To answer part one of the question: insomnia can be a result of physiological, psychological, emotional and spiritual imbalances, not to dismiss chemical side effects from medications. Stress or excessive amounts can cause broken sleep or sleeplessness Emotional repression Hormonal imbalances in the body and vitamin deficiencies play a part.Lifestyle choices can hurt or help. Finally, diet.. . excess of sugars/refined and natural, salts, cafeine for example, can cause the body to be misaligned.
    First step is to correct the imbalances. Retain the body naturally to alignment. The chemicals tryptophan, serotonin, norepinephrine, vasopressin & prolactin can assist.

Nuts like Almonds and pistachios produce serotonin that triggers melatoin (helps Circadian rhythm)
    Cherries tart particularly; help produce melatoin - dried works as well
    Tea calming muscles and helps relaxation : chamomile , lemon balm and passion fruit
    Fresh greens: kale &spinach produce calcium which helps the brain to manufacture melatoin
    Oatmeal: yes a carbohydrate which increases energy, but had a crash like too much cofee. This natural crash produces more insulin and releases sleep inducing brain chemicals. (If diabetic this may not be the best option unless cinnamon is added to cut the sugar)

Physical excretion like coitus releases norepinephrine, serotonin, oxytocin,vasopressin, nitric acid and prolactian. Helps the body relax, calm muscles, produces feelings of euforia (sometimes) but biochemically releases sleep inducing hormones. Low impact excersice like yoga will also relax the body. These physiological aspects should help with the insomnia.

Additionally, prayer and meditation can give clarity and relaxation for repressed emotional and mental conditions.

Possibly a "good night" smoothie will do the trick. For emotional/mental imbalances; repression, grief, stress, anger, etc. talk therapy may help. Hope this was useful. Rest well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know if I have insomnia [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a girl and thirteen and I can't ever sleep it takes me 1-2 to fall asleep and I wake up 1-2 hours later most of the time and can't fall back asleep I also have to take naps and I don't think I should be !

Insomnia [ 0 Answers ]

Hi for the past couple months I have had difficulty going to sleep. These past few weeks I have stayed up all night without getting one minute of sleep I lay in bed trying so hard to go to sleep but for some reason I cant. I recently tried the new zzz quil that they came out with and it helped me...

Insomnia [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm Chloe and I'm 14 years old. I'm currently in year 10 at my secondary school and all seems to be going well apart from on a night. Every night since I was about 11 years old I've been unable to sleep on a school night. As soon as bed time approaches I have a fear of going to bed knowing...

Insomnia? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi am 20 and I can never sleep at night all day long I am exsorsted but then night I'm wide awake till silly times in the morning I have suffer with panic attacks and anxiety is this why I can't sleep propaly or is it just I have insomnia?

Am I on insomnia? [ 5 Answers ]

I can't sleep mostly and even I am in bed I can't relex or got a deep sleep. I got a very sound sleep last 2 year but now I can't get much sleep as I am on totally preure and stress. Even though I close my eyes, it drag me at least two or three hours to get a lettle and when I got totally relax,...

View more questions Search