Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 10:25 AM
    Kentucky clerk held in contempt!
    Well it was inevitable I guess, after exhausting all legal remedies a Kentucky clerk was found in contempt of a judges order to issue marriage licenses to her constituents. She chose to issue none to gay or straights in her county.

She was found in contempt and was jailed!

Kentucky clerk jailed over refusal to issue marriage licenses to gay couples | US news | The Guardian

Should she have just stepped aside? Or does she have a right to step on the rights of her own constituents?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 3, 2015, 11:21 AM
    Her "right" to impose her religion everywhere she goes? She doesn't have that right. Too many people think freedom of religion is above all other freedoms. Freedoms have to be weighed against each other all the time. As a citizen of the US, she has to abide by the SCOTUS ruling. She is free to petition the court, resign, go to another state, but she isn't free to flaunt the law without being charged with a crime.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2015, 12:09 PM
    When you look at her history it's a little difficult to believe the sincerity of her actions. Married several times, at least two kids out of wedlock, and who knows what else. I am not judging just stating facts as I've heard them. What's next a prime time interview? Book deal? Monday Night Movie? She was disobedient to an order from the court and it will play on from here. It's just too bad she gets notoriety from it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2015, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    at least two kids out of wedlock
    I was not aware of that. To me, that is hypocrisy to a high degree. I assumed this was a very pious person, strictly following the teachings of her religion. Not that it should have mattered, her responsibility to her position overshadows her religious convictions in any case. While I do admire her for going to jail rather then succumb, that is where she belongs, in jail for flaunting the law. She exhausted all her legal avenues, so she had three choices. Give the licenses, quit her job or martyr herself by going to jail. She apparently chose door # 3
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2015, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    While I do admire her for going to jail rather then succumb, that is where she belongs, in jail for flaunting the law.
    What if her motivations are not pure? Think Justin Bieber crying during his song at the music awards. Genuine? I highly doubt it. Think Subway Jared setting up a children's charity to fight childhood obesity. We know the ending of that movie.

I just hope when her 15 seconds of fame are over, she goes away and isn't one of these people that try to keep themselves famous long after we stopped caring.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 01:10 PM
    The children out of wedlock and the first three marriages were before she became a Christian. She says God has forgiven her, and all is right in HER world.
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2015, 01:19 PM
    Well good then she's free to judge and place judgment on us all.

It is Kentucky after all.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The children out of wedlock and the first three marriages were before she became a Christian. She says God has forgiven her, and all is right in HER world.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 01:28 PM

The Bible does mention something about judging, but she'd rather cherry-pick verses that support her personal beliefs. And there are verses about obeying government authorities (Heb. 13:17, and others)....
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2015, 01:37 PM

Just for the record, not agreeing with something does not automatically equate to passing judgment. Since the law stands, she should have sought employment elsewhere, if possible, since she did not feel that she could fulfill the requirements/expectations of her occupation.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 01:41 PM

It seems the pandering is exclusive to some religions and the others must be pushed aside to make way.

Muslims seem to get many things their way based on their religion.

Muslim drivers at Cleveland airport refuse to drive cabs with Gay Games advertising | Fox News

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/wo...2566.html?_r=0

Even given mandatory time off to pray. Seems like they have better lawyers at this time.
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2015, 01:43 PM
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    It seems the pandering is exclusive to some religions and the others must be pushed aside to make way.

Muslims seem to get many things their way based on their religion.

Muslim drivers at Cleveland airport refuse to drive cabs with Gay Games advertising | Fox News

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/wo...2566.html?_r=0

Even given mandatory time off to pray. Seems like they have better lawyers at this time.

Agree but the statements she has made, such as this is a heaven or hell issue and others, is passing judgment where she sees fit.

Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Just for the record, not agreeing with something does not automatically equate to passing judgment. Since the law stands, she should have sought employment elsewhere, if possible, since she did not feel that she could fulfill the requirements/expectations of her occupation.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 01:46 PM
    Good point.

Agree but the statements she has made, such as this is a heaven or hell issue and others, is passing judgment where she sees fit.

Most religions have a damnation clause as far as Im aware of. Their has always been ying / yang type of struggle going on. Also the promise of enlightenment plays heavy into the equation.

Sep 3, 2015, 01:46 PM
    Allright, maybe being "born again" takes away part of the hypocrisy. It also makes her stance a bit more understandable (from her POV) because I've found that most "born agains" I've encountered are extremely adamant about imposing their beliefs on others.

But the facts here are very simple. She was elected to do a job. Even if the job requirements changed after being elected, she swore to uphold the law when she took office. If she could not do so, then she should have resigned.
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2015, 01:52 PM
    My point is when someone like her talks about gays and sinning in the same breath, they talk like gays are damned worse that murderers and what Subway Jared is accused of. Sinning is sinning and it will always be sinning. The straight person's perspective is interesting because they have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to gay people or the struggle of being gay especially when you are a child. Just think about the 13 year old that doesn't understand why he or she feels the way they do but is watching this self appointed judge and jury mouth off when she really has no idea what she is talking about.

*... climbing off my soap box now...

Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Most religions have a damnation clause as far as Im aware of. Their has always been ying / yang type of struggle going on. Also the promise of enlightenment plays heavy into the equation.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2015, 01:55 PM

Ahhh, that is a different situation then. I hadn't seen what she has said. Unfortunately, people often do forget/ignore, or never learn in the first place, teachings of Christianity in regard to passing judgment. Sadly, it can often put Christians in a bad light when they forget that all fall short for various reasons, and then some people will paint all Christians with the same brush because of it.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 01:57 PM
    My point is when someone like her talks about gays and sinning in the same breath, they talk like gays are damned worse that murderers and what Subway Jared is accused of. Sinning is sinning and it will always be sinning. The straight person's perspective is interesting because they have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to gay people or the struggle of being gay especially when you are a child. Just think about the 13 year old that doesn't understand why he or she feels the way they do but is watching this self appointed judge and jury mouth off when she really has no idea what she is talking about.

*... climbing off my soap box now...

She does know what she is talking about. Maybe you cant see it from her perspective. From her side it is wrong. She is standing by that belief. Even the catholic church says it is wrong. It is all about perspective. From your side it is a painful journey. Either way it is a belief system that you both are pushing with.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2015, 03:16 PM
    If her job requires she act against her conscience she should resign, this is the Christian position

Sep 3, 2015, 03:31 PM
    cdad, I don't care whether she is required to give licenses to same sex couples to marry, or Nazis to march, or licenses to exotic animals as pets. The issue here is that the law requires her to issue licenses for whatever. If she refuses to do her job, then she should resign or be sanctioned. End of story.

The constitution provides for separation of church and state. That means that government can't make laws that prevent someone from worshipping the way they want. But it also means that churches can't interfere with the operation of the government. And that's what this woman tried to do. And she lost, so now she has to accept the consequences of that loss. Either follow the law, quit or go to jail.

It doesn't matter that her refusal was to grant licenses to same sex marriages. What matters only is that she refused to obey the law of the land.
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    cdad, I don't care whether she is required to give licenses to same sex couples to marry, or Nazis to march, or licenses to exotic animals as pets. The issue here is that the law requires her to issue licenses for whatever. If she refuses to do her job, then she should resign or be sanctioned. End of story.

The constitution provides for separation of church and state. That means that government can't make laws that prevent someone from worshipping the way they want. But it also means that churches can't interfere with the operation of the government. And that's what this woman tried to do. And she lost, so now she has to accept the consequences of that loss. Either follow the law, quit or go to jail.

It doesn't matter that her refusal was to grant licenses to same sex marriages. What matters only is that she refused to obey the law of the land.
    I agree with what your saying. The only problem is that there are ways to deal with this problem internally. The position she holds is an elected one. So impeachment could happen to force her to step aside. Also the state legislature can remove her from office.

Why hasnt there been any form of remedy ? It is her right as citizen to take the stand that she has but she also must face all the consequences that go with that position.

Why hasnt anyone acted on it already ?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 04:44 PM
    I love the irony of her party affiliation.

Rowan County Kentucky Clerk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The icici bank account held by my father and me jointly has been held. What to do [ 7 Answers ]

My father and I have a joint account in icici bank. All the money in the account is of my father. I had defaulted in icici credit card. The icici bank has held the account. What my father can do?

Jail clerk [ 3 Answers ]

What are the duties of a clerk that work inside the jail

Being Held in Contempt [ 1 Answers ]

What happens if the judge holds you in contempt for violating a court order? Please let me know asap.

View more questions Search