Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottK2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2015, 03:03 AM
    Bread question
    I just got a very strict diet when it comes to sugar and was checking the ingredients of the bread that I eat.I discovered that it was listed as having 2gs of sugar whether I had 1 slice or 2. How is this possible? WOuldn't 1 slice be 1 G or 2 slices together be 4g?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 3, 2015, 03:32 AM
    The entire load has 2 g of sugar.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2015, 07:09 AM
    If you are diabetic... starches convert directly to sugars in your digestive tract... and something that needs factored into your diet.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 3, 2015, 07:58 AM
    I don't see how what you think you are reading is possible. Bread isn't listed with 2 options, 1 slice or 2, as far as I have ever seen.
    I just looked at the different plastic bread bags I have saved (to reuse) and all show 1 slice or 1 muffin as a 'serving' and all happen to have 2 g sugar.

I agree with smoothy. Your body doesn't distinguish between starches like flour and sugar. All break down to glucose. Many people these days who are cutting out sugar are also cutting out as much flour as possible. Refined cane sugar may not have as many nutrients as flour, but there are so few nutrients in most flour that it's not worth counting.

I often make my own bread, just not much in summer. I use 1.25 cup OJ instead of 3 T sugar with 4 cups flours. It activates the yeast just as well. That makes a 2 pound loaf. You can see that the amount of sugar in most breads is neglible, per slice. It's the FLOUR you want to avoid as much as sugar.
    ScottK2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2015, 02:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I don't see how what you think you are reading is possible. Bread isn't listed with 2 options, 1 slice or 2, as far as I have ever seen.
    I just looked at the different plastic bread bags I have saved (to reuse) and all show 1 slice or 1 muffin as a 'serving' and all happen to have 2 g sugar.

I agree with smoothy. Your body doesn't distinguish between starches like flour and sugar. All break down to glucose. Many people these days who are cutting out sugar are also cutting out as much flour as possible. Refined cane sugar may not have as many nutrients as flour, but there are so few nutrients in most flour that it's not worth counting.

I often make my own bread, just not much in summer. I use 1.25 cup OJ instead of 3 T sugar with 4 cups flours. It activates the yeast just as well. That makes a 2 pound loaf. You can see that the amount of sugar in most breads is neglible, per slice. It's the FLOUR you want to avoid as much as sugar.
    I misread the label which was what causing my confusion.Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If you are diabetic... starches convert directly to sugars in your digestive tract... and something that needs factored into your diet.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    The entire load has 2 g of sugar.
    Thanks.
    alex4ester Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2015, 12:56 PM
    Use brown or rye bread instead white, its more healthy and less calories

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bread [ 4 Answers ]

Why does my sourdough bread always fall when I bake it. Drops by about a third; any Ideas as to how to prevent this? Many thanks, Reed

Soft bread [ 3 Answers ]

I have been making my own bread for a while. I bought a pullman load pan and love it. We do not like the soft squishy bread in the store but I would like to have it a little more chewy. My recipe calls for water, salt. Honey, margarine, bread flour, sugar, dried milk and yeast. I measure very...

Calories in bread [ 3 Answers ]

Is white slice bread or brown whole wheat slice bread more in calories? How many calories does one slice of white bread have and one slice of brown bread have?

Bread help! [ 1 Answers ]

How do I make good light yeast rolls? Love to have any bread making reciepes. How do I now if yeast is alive and active. My bread always turns out like rocks.

View more questions Search