Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misspurple77 Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2015, 06:15 PM
    Why did so many people die of influenza in the Wild West?
    I am watching Dr. Quin Medicine woman and a lot of people are dying because of influenza.

Nowadays it isn't that dangerous anymore. Is that because of acetaminophen/paracetamol, or acetylsalicyl acid, which made it easier for us to control the fever? Because we are better informed about what to do: like keeping patients hydrated?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 2, 2015, 06:45 PM
    Medications that are available today weren't available then. Hygiene is better now as well. Medicine has come a long way since then. There were more deaths during childbirth than there are now as well.

Sep 2, 2015, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Medications that are available today weren't available then. Hygiene is better now as well. Medicine has come a long way since then. There were more deaths during childbirth than there are now as well.
    Thank you. But in the case of influenza, does taking a shower instead of a spongebath really makes that much of a difference? And is aceminatophen/paracetamol and acetylsalicyc acid really that much more better and effective than kinine was?

Because even nowadays, there still isn't much that can be done against the flu. Or am I missing something here? Are the vaccinations saving that much lifes? I never been vaccinated against the flu myself.
    Expert

Sep 2, 2015, 07:23 PM
    Hand washing is what makes a difference. Hydration does as well. Yes, vaccinations save lives, but some people still get the flu. Tylenol and Motrin relieve symptoms, but are not cures.

I get vaccinated yearly. I have to or my choice is to wear a surgical mask for each 12 hour shift, or not work at all. I haven't had the flu in almost 8 years and I'm exposed to it.

Sep 2, 2015, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Hand washing is what makes a difference. Hydration does as well. Yes, vaccinations save lives, but some people still get the flu. Tylenol and Motrin relieve symptoms, but are not cures.

I get vaccinated yearly. I have to or my choice is to wear a surgical mask for each 12 hour shift, or not work at all. I haven't had the flu in almost 8 years and I'm exposed to it.
    I used to work as a secretary, in an office, so I didn't need to get vaccinated. I had the flu in 2012 and in 2001 and I can't remember the last time before that.
    Expert

Sep 2, 2015, 08:05 PM
    You also have to remember that the sow you are watching is pure fiction. Much of us was elaborated to garner ratings.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2015, 09:03 PM
    Many people seldom took baths, and washing your hands was just seldom done either.

Also most smaller towns did not have doctors, and those that did, the doctors were often poorly trained. Most treatments were home treatments or herbs and roots and things.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 3, 2015, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by misspurple77 View Post
    Thank you. But in the case of influenza, does taking a shower instead of a spongebath really makes that much of a difference? And is aceminatophen/paracetamol and acetylsalicyc acid really that much more better and effective than kinine was?

Because even nowadays, there still isn't much that can be done against the flu. Or am I missing something here? Are the vaccinations saving that much lifes? I never been vaccinated against the flu myself.
    Specifically regarding sponge baths vs. showers

Back then, sponges and bath water was often shared. One person may bathe, then the next without getting fresh water or sponges. Showers, of course, wash the dirty water off immediately, opposed to baths where the dirty water sits stagnant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I know people are going to die before they do why and how [ 4 Answers ]

Two days before my grandma died I had this dream these old when where picking berries in a field, they were all dressed in black dresses with white collars. One of them stopped, looked up and said "ooh honey they are playing my song" one of there other women looked at her and said "what are you...

Film wit kids on school holidays and find a gate to the wild west [ 1 Answers ]

Their principal was the sheriff of the town in the wild west and planned on robbing the town bank which the kids foiled... they made it into their school history books at the end... Any ideas

Why do people die? [ 18 Answers ]

Why do people die, what kind of benevolent God would allow it to happen, especially when the justification is that some bloke four thousand years back ate an apple, apparently, after being created by a God who gave him the kind of character which meant he was always going to eat the d*mn apple.

Wild, wild west. [ 3 Answers ]

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals had a habit of picking on strangers. So when he finished his drink, he found his horse had been stolen. He went back into the bar, handily flipped his gun into the air, caught it above his head and fired a shot...

In the wild west, why did they always spit? [ 1 Answers ]

Well the question is in the subject, so why did they?

View more questions Search