Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjhjehhampton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2015, 12:31 PM
    401 k withdrawals
    If I live in Arizona and am getting a divorce. I have been told that I must give my spouse 1/2 of my 401 K, is this true and is there a penalty? How is the money distributed? A check directly to him? We are not using a lawyer we are filing the papers ourselves?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2015, 01:00 AM
    There is not one rule fits all. You can give him 1/2 if you and he agree that is fair.
    Things on how long you were married, earnings by each during marriage and many other issues can be looked at. But of course that is where layers and argument come in.

Personally, it would be worth it, for both of you to at least hire one lawyer together, and share the cost to go over all the details. And make sure it is all in writing.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 31, 2015, 03:48 AM
    Arizona is one of the 9 community property states, but that doesn't mean that you have to literally cash in half your 401K with penalty.
    List property/assets on paper and then pay a mediation lawyer together, just for advice. Do them in chronological order. Assets from before marriage aren't community property.
    Or figure it out yourselves, if you don't have children and are on good terms.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 2, 2015, 05:56 AM
    It is quite common to split retirement assets such as an IRA or a 401(k) 50:50, particularly if you have been married for ten or more years. However, you must strictly follow the correct procedures, which allows the split to happen like a rollover, penalty and tax-free. Otherwise the IRS will treat the split as a distribution and will require payment of taxes and penalty. The key is to have a a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QRDO) issued by the court. Here is an article that explains it pretty well: Divorcing? The Right Way to Split Retirement Plans

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401(k) withdrawals [ 2 Answers ]

Some of my past jobs that I worked at had 401k plans.I want to no who do I need to contact to pull money from my 401k at my past jobs and what info do I need?

401(k) Hardship withdrawals [ 2 Answers ]

If a person takes a hardship withdrawl from a 401(k) I suspect that even with 10% taken for taxes on withdrawl a person could be paying more in taxes if they are in a higher tax bracket. Plus, as I looked through some of the answers to another hardship withdrawl question, a person would be...

401 K Withdrawals [ 3 Answers ]

At what age can you start withdrawing from a 401K account?

401(K) withdrawals [ 1 Answers ]

I just turned 61 and would like to withdraw some of my 401(k) funds that are in mutual funds. What are my options?

401(K) and withdrawals [ 1 Answers ]

I just rolled over $250K into my new employers 401K plan. I am 56-1/2 yrs old. I want to take out about $100K to buy a principal residence. What tax implications will I face? How much taxes (if any) would I have to pay? Is there a dollar limit on what I withdraw from the 401K? Thanks...

View more questions Search