Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diva_girl1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2015, 01:30 PM
    How can I help my brother?
    We were at a park with my family. There was me (I'm 13), my 6 year old half-brother and my mom. My mom is a very short tempered person. She gets mad at basically anything. We were at this park and so my brother was just playing around and climbing these rocks that were almost half my height and my mom of course kept yelling at him to get off in public and yes there were people everywhere staring because she yells really loudly but my brother didn't really listen and moments later he falls off a rock and starts bleeding really badly and my mom starts spanking him with her hand and saying things like "I told you not to stand on that rock" "you deserved it" and the worst one was "I'm going to slap you to death and make you die a horrible painful death" and of course he was crying from all the harsh words my mother was saying to him. Then she turned to me and said things like "don't even feel sorry for him he doesn't deserve any sympathy".

I know that my brother was wrong by not listening to my mom in the first place for climbing and he shouldn't have done so which would've prevented his injury but I don't think my mom had the right to go tell him to die in hell (she actually said that) and those words don't only hurt him but it actually hurts me too and it makes me cry having to listen to those words. I know that we have had our sibling days as all siblings do but being an older sister since I'm almost 10 years older I want to help him I really do have sympathy for him even though my mom told me not to. So how can I help my brother get through this?

He's 4 not 6 that was a typo
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 29, 2015, 01:49 PM
    Does she overreact like this at other times? Where is your dad?
    Diva_girl1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2015, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Does she overreact like this at other times? Where is your dad?
    She does spaz a lot even in unnecessary situations but never really to this extreme. Also I have never met my dad before. My mom had me when she was 17 and she told me that my dad (her ex) dumped her before she found out she was pregnant with me so I don't even think my dad knows he has a daughter (me)

I also don't have a step dad either my mom used to be married but divorced a few years ago
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 31, 2015, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Diva_girl1 View Post
    She does spaz a lot even in unnecessary situations but never really to this extreme. Also I have never met my dad before. My mom had me when she was 17 and she told me that my dad (her ex) dumped her before she found out she was pregnant with me so I don't even think my dad knows he has a daughter (me)

I also don't have a step dad either my mom used to be married but divorced a few years ago
    She's missing out on child support. Where is your brother's dad?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2015, 05:58 PM
    She probably has a LOT of stress raising both of you and making ends meet, its hard for two parents...but when you have only one that has to do everything, sometimes it seems impossible... and your brother being so willful and disrespectful by ignoring her pushes her beyond what she can take.

Most kids have no idea what parents have to worry about... and the more they have to worry the less patience they will have.

You don't see it now... but when you are older you will. Parents are human... and they are imperfect and do have limits to our patience. And some days it will be less that others.

Actually if she didn't care for and love you both....she wouldn't get as upset and angry at times like that.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 1, 2015, 09:30 AM
    You could help your mom by keeping your brother out of trouble, and help him behave, so he doesn't have to spaz.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to determine if my brother is my real brother [ 2 Answers ]

I have a brother 2 years older than I and we want to know if we share the same father. Both parents are deceased and we live in different states.

Younger brother runs through sliding glass doors while older brother watches [ 3 Answers ]

I saw this on TV a few months ago, started with a bunch of parents are having a house party, which takes place in the 60's . There are two younger boys who live at the house and they are running all over the place having fun. Parents tell them time for bed. Then I remember seeing the two...

Can the property (jointly held by brother & father) transfer from brother to brother [ 1 Answers ]

I own a property jointly with my father. Now I wish to transfer/gift this property to my brother. Could you please advise what would be the best way to execute this. What are the legal complications, tax and/or any other issue. Awaiting your response. Thanks. D Dumbre. I jointly own a...

What is the title of the movie where one brother is gone to war and the other brother [ 1 Answers ]

What is the title of the movie where one brother is gone to war and the brother who is home gets into a romantic relationship with his wife and bond with the Children

Brother lending money to sister/brother-in-law. How do we set up the mortgage? [ 9 Answers ]

My son is going to lend money to my daughter and her husband as a mortgage (they will use it to pay off existing mortgage). What documents do we need to create? I'm assuming some sort of mortgage agreement. Do we need to file these documents somewhere to make the mortgage legal? We live in PA,...

View more questions Search