Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 29, 2015, 03:30 AM
    Bug in Windows 10?
    I have a Dell 2-in-1 (both tablet with touch screen, and monitor with keyboard and mouse) and about once a week or so either touch ability or the mouse stops working, and I have to restart.
    However, with Win 10, restart hangs in a grey screen indefinitely, and hitting the start button has no effect, and I have to unplug and plug back in.
    This has happened every time. About 4 times since I installed Win 10.

Is anyone familiar with this?
    Any idea if this is specific to the Dell 2-in-1?
    Is it worth reporting as a bug?
    How do I do so?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 29, 2015, 03:35 AM
    Unfortunate issue when upgrading rather than a fresh install..

Have you made sure that all your drivers have been upgraded ?
    Check the Dell website for specific drivers for your model.
    current pert

Aug 29, 2015, 05:26 AM
    The Dell site says that if I had 8.1, there is no need for new drivers. I had 8.1 (it came with the Dell).
    On the other hand, a commercial site ran a scan and said I needed a new driver ($30). Wonder why I should believe that?

I could go back to Dell and re-install the 8.1 driver, but would rather avoid more problems, so won't.
    Anyway, thanks.
    BossMan

Aug 29, 2015, 05:56 AM
    Go for the driver re-install, it's not going to do any harm.

As for these driver scan programs, they are mostly vapourware...
    current pert

Aug 29, 2015, 07:51 AM
    OK, later, when I have enough ice cream in my freezer.
    BossMan

Aug 29, 2015, 07:53 AM
    How often do you reboot your system ?
    current pert

Aug 29, 2015, 10:17 AM
    Whenever something freezes or doesn't respond, like touch or mouse. Twice a week at most, maybe average once every 7-9 days.
    BossMan

Aug 29, 2015, 10:20 AM
    That could be part of the problem, especially with a brand new OS..
    Try a weekly reboot, say Sat night, and see if that helps.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 29, 2015, 02:27 PM
    Avast Anti-virus freeware has a boot scan option, so you can do most of your maintenance all at once: Reboot, install updates, virus scan, all of it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 30, 2015, 06:09 AM
    You may want to check your settings. Some systems to save energy are set to go to sleep even on a live screen. If this is happening then just change the effected systems settings.
    current pert

Aug 30, 2015, 06:24 AM
    My sleep setting is longer than it takes to reboot.
    At 3:15 am I woke up and the screen was the Dell logo and dots turning, as though installing something. I waited 50 minutes before pulling the plug.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 30, 2015, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    My sleep setting is longer than it takes to reboot.
    At 3:15 am I woke up and the screen was the Dell logo and dots turning, as though installing something. I waited 50 minutes before pulling the plug.

Ouch ! If it was installing updates of some kind then it is a big no no to turn it off while in process. That can be part of the problem. If drivers didnt get installed correctly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I tell if bug bites are parasites from within my body or bug buts found home? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finding EVERYWHERE what looks like a piece of tobacco (under magnifying glass, definitely not tobacco). Small sliver-like brown (they look like tiny cigars) pieces of what can only be described as burnt ground beef or coffee grounds everywhere. Also, my cat has ear mites and is being...

I have windows Vista, and I can't open files designated to Windows Media Center? [ 9 Answers ]

I have Windows Vista, which came with this computer, And occasionally get files from my daughter's school designated to Windows Media Center, which I can't open in anything. There seems to be nowhere to open it in Media Center, but when I click it... that's where it takes me. Very frustrating.

Email sending prob. In windows vista using windows mail [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problem in sending emails in windows mail in vista. Up to yesterday, it was working fine. I have deleted and created the account again. Email address,pwd, pop n smtp etc everything is correct but email are not going. There is genuine windows vista with Mecafee. No problem with incoming...

Windows Explorer advanced search bug [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very annoying Windows XP Explorer bug. The "Type of File" drop-down list (under Search-More advanced options) does not contain the first entry: (All Files and Folders). When I launch and do a file search, this field is blank and the serach works as expected. However, at the end of the...

View more questions Search