Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2015, 12:01 PM
    What's the best dry dog food?
    A friend of mine recommended 4Health dry dog food for my dog. I was curious to know what is the best dog food so I went online and there are so many brands it's hard to determine. I'd like to hear what brands other people use. For all you dog lovers out there, what do you recommend for a dry dog food. I have an 8 yr old German Shepherd. One of the things I like about 4Health is that it has glucosamine in it.
    Thanks!
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2015, 12:43 PM
    We used Pedigree for our German Shepherds because they were more meat based and it was easier on them. And they always ate. At 8 I would definitely do the glucosamine old fella food. Aren’t German Shepherds just the best dog bar none? I will be getting two more very soon. We heard a lot of good things about Van Patten’s dog food. I believe it was called Natural Balance or something like that. My two didn’t want to touch it at all.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 28, 2015, 01:00 PM
    I have bought very expensive, fancy dry foods and inexpensive supermarket brands.
    Basically the cheap brands are all full of useless filler that goes right through the dog, resulting in more and bigger poops. Why lug big bags home in light of that?
    I compromise. My supermarket sells IAMS and I buy that as one of the 'better' regular brands. Science Diet is good if your store has it.
    One Appalachian Trail hiker studied brands thoroughly and chose Science Diet to take with him for his dog while hiking.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2015, 01:03 PM
    My two were proud of their bigger poops!

:)

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I have bought very expensive, fancy dry foods and inexpensive supermarket brands.
    Basically the cheap brands are all full of useless filler that goes right through the dog, resulting in more and bigger poops. Why lug big bags home in light of that?
    I compromise. My supermarket sells IAMS and I buy that as one of the 'better' regular brands. Science Diet is good if your store has it.
    One Appalachian Trail hiker studied brands thoroughly and chose Science Diet to take with him for his dog while hiking.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 28, 2015, 02:17 PM
    Oh right! They asked you to take pictures!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 28, 2015, 03:56 PM
    The upmarket brands from Purina rate favorably in both nutrition and flavor. The Purinaone line is widely available and has blends geared for older dogs. I'd recommend a glucosamine supplement in addition as the entire line is a little low in supplements.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 28, 2015, 07:28 PM
    I use Castor and Pollux. It's great for dogs with food allergies like chicken and grains.
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2015, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    We used Pedigree for our German Shepherds because they were more meat based and it was easier on them. And they always ate. At 8 I would definitely do the glucosamine old fella food. Aren’t German Shepherds just the best dog bar none? I will be getting two more very soon. We heard a lot of good things about Van Patten’s dog food. I believe it was called Natural Balance or something like that. My two didn’t want to touch it at all.
    My husband and I love German Shepherds! Our previous shepherd who passed away years ago was the best guard dog ever. Very protective. The one we have now is a sweetheart, very loving and very different from the first but a great pet! Best dogs.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get my new older dog to eat dry dog food [ 1 Answers ]

I Jest got a 7 year old zu and he won't eat dry food unless I mix it with wet food How can I get him to eat jest dry food

Dog has been refusing dry dog food, become thin, [ 13 Answers ]

Dog has been refusing dry dog food, and has become thin, ate boiled rice with meat for maybe 3 days, refuses that now gave chicken broth which she drank, but only ate a little of plain yogurt. Her manner has been upbeat, as always- I began to get more worried on Thursday, Feb 11, called vet Fri,...

Dry dog food. [ 2 Answers ]

Our five year old Poodle weighs 10 pounds and is reluctant to eat her dry dog food. I was wondering if anyone has solved the problem by adding or substituting wet dog food or by adding broth of some kind.

Dry Dog Food for Small Dog [ 3 Answers ]

My Lhasa Apso and Shih Tzu have digestive trouble with their current dog food - Bil-Jac. I purchased California Natural Lamb and Rice, but the nuggets are so large and hard that my one dog won't eat them. She picks them out of the bowl and sets them on the floor. Does anyone make a high quality...

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

View more questions Search