Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bug_zs Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2005, 12:56 AM
    Windows 98SE Installation Sequence
    Dear Forum,

After a fresh installation of Windows 98SE from the factory
    Disk, what is the order of driver installs? Is it...

A. Motherboard Chipset
    Video Card
    Monitor

B. Motherboard Chipset
    Monitor
    Video Card

C. Video Card
    Monitor
    Motherboard Chipset

D. Video Card
    Motherboard Chipset
    Monitor

E. Monitor
    Video Card
    Motherboard Chipset

E. Monitor
    Motherboard Chipset
    Video Card

Thanks in advance.

Ben
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2005, 02:17 AM
    I don't think it matters but A is the most logical order.

One thing - By "factory disk" do you mean a PC manufacturer’s rescue disk? If that's the case, wouldn't that install the drivers for you??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 4, 2005, 06:39 AM
    First, I have never, ever installed any drivers for a motherboard. If any drivers are needed, they are installed with the OS, otherwise the OS wouldn't boot. There MAY be a need to install drivers for onboard features like video and sound, but nothing for the motherboard chipset.

Second, its is very rare that there would be a need to install drivers for a monitor. As long as the monitor supports VGA, then it should work fine without any driver installation.

Third, If the video adpater was not picked up via plug and play, then your system probably defaulted to SVGA (640x480 with 16 colors). In that case you would need to load drivers for the video adapter.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Mar 20, 2005, 01:51 AM
    I agree. Nowadays, it really does not matter the order of driver installation. In the late 90's it used to be a concern with conflicts between the modem, video and sound drivers, in which there was a certain order of install for certain motherboard types or computer brands as to limit IRQ conflicts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Avoiding Registry Checker at Strartup Windows 98se [ 4 Answers ]

I recently tried out a trial version of Registry Mechanic.It found 80 mistakes,but being a trial version it only fixed 4 of them.I uninstalled the trial version.Now every time I restart Windows 98se the Microsoft registry checker starts up(blue screen}and says repairing c:\windows\system.dat.My...

Scan disk for Windows 98SE [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to use the scan disk but it doesn't work. It says there isn't enough memory, or close down programs. I don't understand. My computer says there is about 70% of free space left, and I close down the programs before trying to use the scan disk. In fact before I never had any...

Loading windows 98se [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am tying to load windows 98se after I fdisk and format the PC. The cd loads and starts installing 98se but it gets to a certain point and the PC goes to a blue screen and stops installing. I thought it was the hard drive so I put a new one in and it did the same thing

View more questions Search