Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike536 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2015, 08:35 AM
    Well hasn't been used for 5 years
    Hello I bought a place that was empty for about 5 years Crooks stole the holding tank and the well hasn't been used in the 5 years. There is still water in the main feed line and the well sets lower then where the home sets. I'm just wondering what to expect when I have everything hooked up and power to run the deep well pump. Should I expect problems with the pump or even the well? Or would it be typical for everything to just run as it was 5 years ago?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 25, 2015, 08:58 AM
    Did the thieves steal the pump also?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2015, 09:03 AM
    If it was working when it was abandoned, then it will probably work now. Only one way to find out. I am assuming this pump is in the well as opposed to a jet pump above ground.

Aug 25, 2015, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    If it was working when it was abandoned, then it will probably work now. Only one way to find out. I am assuming this pump is in the well as opposed to a jet pump above ground.
    Yes I'm sorry forgot to put that info in but it is in the well and it was working fine the last time it was used and thank you for your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Did the thieves steal the pump also?
    No the pump is in the well so they didn't dare try to take the pump since the well is in site of my home I live in

Aug 25, 2015, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    One more question I probably shouldn't run it without the tank should I? With the exception of just testing it
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2015, 10:33 AM
    You can certainly test it without the tank. The tank just buffers the constant on and off if hooked up to a house without a tank. .
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 25, 2015, 01:05 PM
    I think I would rig up some temporary piping, turn the pump on and let it run for a while.
    Let it run until the water is clear. Consult the local health department about sanitizing the well to kill any bacteria. Which will probably amount to pouring a gallon of bleach down the well. Again pump the well until the odor of bleach is gone. Then have the water quality tested. Then purchase and install a tank and switch.

Just a suggestion.

Aug 25, 2015, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    I think I would rig up some temporary piping, turn the pump on and let it run for a while.
    Let it run until the water is clear. Consult the local health department about sanitizing the well to kill any bacteria. Which will probably amount to pouring a gallon of bleach down the well. Again pump the well until the odor of bleach is gone. Then have the water quality tested. Then purchase and install a tank and switch.

Just a suggestion.
    Thank you for your suggestion I actually had plans on since where they cut the lines its no longer hooked to the home on running it straight through the out door spiket before hooking it up to the home.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Aug 27, 2015, 03:09 AM
    Mike,
    We prefer to sanitize private wells using dry calcium hypochlorite pellets, they will drop past the pump and disinfect the entire well water column, and any accumulated sludge at the bottom of the well. Please be sure to work safely with these highly concentrated tablets.
    We also like to wash down the entire well casing by removing the cap / seal and rinsing / spraying inside with a hose connected to the nearest silcock, usually for at least 20 minutes.
    For best results, we will " shock " the well overnight, and flush the well and water system thoroughly the next day; we are careful to isolate tanks, heaters, faucets, areators, flora & fauna, and the septic tank from the initial flow of highly chlorinated water..........

Oct 1, 2015, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike45plus View Post
    Mike,
    We prefer to sanitize private wells using dry calcium hypochlorite pellets, they will drop past the pump and disinfect the entire well water column, and any accumulated sludge at the bottom of the well. Please be sure to work safely with these highly concentrated tablets.
    We also like to wash down the entire well casing by removing the cap / seal and rinsing / spraying inside with a hose connected to the nearest silcock, usually for at least 20 minutes.
    For best results, we will " shock " the well overnight, and flush the well and water system thoroughly the next day; we are careful to isolate tanks, heaters, faucets, areators, flora & fauna, and the septic tank from the initial flow of highly chlorinated water..........
    Mike45plus First sorry for the late reply I just saw it but thank you so much for the information I will do it the way you suggested sounds to be the surest and safest way. Better safe then sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex husband hasn't seen/pd in over 6 years [ 1 Answers ]

I separated from my ex in 2004, divorced in 2006. He has not paid any child support since 2008 and has not seen his kids since 2006. He has moved out of state to avoid being arrested. He owes over $40k. Anyhow, I'd really like to get him to give up his rights. Can I file abandonment charges against...

Ex hasn't seen child for 2 years, [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband hasn't taken advantage of his WA state court ordered visitation for the past 2 years, and 16 months of no communication from him. (He was never consistent when he did take him previously, I have calendar journals with dates, times, and excuses as to why he wouldn't take him.) ...

Father hasn't paid Child support in 9 months, hasn't seen her in 3 years.. [ 3 Answers ]

I was in an abusive relationship with him and I eventually got out. He is court ordered to pay child support, but I have not received any in 9 months (after getting it for only a few months) and he has not seen or spoken to her since she was 2 months old. She is now 3 years old. I live in Arkansas...

Husband hasn't shaved in 10 years and now he is what's going on [ 10 Answers ]

I have noticed that my husband has been shaving? He hasn't shaved in 10 years and now all the suddend he is , I couldn't get him to shave for me and now he is getting up early in the morring to shave . What's up with that??

He Pays But He Hasn't Seen Her In Five Years [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-husband and i have been divorced for five yrs now and our daughter is 6yrs old he hasn't seen her sense the divorce (because he chose not to) but i never inforced his visitation or the child support until last year i fell on some bad times and inforced the child support but i released all the...

View more questions Search