Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmbmth521 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2015, 07:17 AM
    Looking older
    Hey guys,has any of you who look older than their actual age ever managed to get a girlfriend your own age cause for me its been really hard,I don't know if its cause I look older or what.I have even tried to improve my confidence and socail skills but still haven't found a girl who can accept me.I'm only 18 but facially I look like I'm 25.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2015, 08:04 AM
    Don't most girls your age like older men?

Gaining confidence is accepting your faults and your attributes. Once you are there you will become a whole lot more attractive, and I'm not talking physically.

Aug 25, 2015, 08:29 AM
    @Oliver,I know right,but I'm not really sure if its cause I look older or what cause I've had several girls reject me.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2015, 08:34 AM
    Oh please man – who hasn’t? Getting rejected builds character. Just like you don’t see every girl as perfect for you, they don’t see every guy as perfect for them. Sweat the big stuff, not the little stuff. So a girl rejects you. Because of that rejection you just saved money. Think of it that way.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 25, 2015, 08:41 AM
    It doesn't matter why they reject you, it only matters how YOU handle that rejection. Yeah it sucks, but rejection is more about them than you so don't take it personally, just move beyond it to the next female. That's what having confidence in yourself is all about.

Rejection often saves you from the BS of someone else's baggage, and drama. Take it as THEIR loss, NOT YOURS.

Aug 25, 2015, 08:45 AM
    @Oliver,Thanks a lot for that man,but the thing is I've never really had a girlfriend.And most of the girls I'm after seem to show interest,and I've even had a couple of girls crush on me but when I proposed it turned out to be negative so I'm starting to think they not interested in dating a guy who looks that much older.I'm not ugly,I'm just somewhere in the middle and I dress just as a normal 18 year old would.

@Talaniman,Thanks a mllion for that!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 25, 2015, 08:53 AM
    Oliver has good points. I have one too. What you think is rejection may not be. We ladies like to play the pursuit game at times to see how far a fellow will go. Sometimes we make the guy feel as little as possible and then see how often he will come back and try again. 521 you are giving up too easily. Have a little more stamina.

I for one have never actually played this game mind you, just know of it :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 25, 2015, 08:58 AM
    Stop proposing and have fun making friends and having hangout buddies and eventually one will emerge that has an interest you want to pursue over time. Build a life that you enjoy with family, friends, and activities that makes you happy, and sure as not you will attract those who enjoy sharing your happiness with you.

You better enjoy being young single and free while you can buddy, and learning to be happy about it. Looking for a girlfriend is a perfect waste of time to me, when you can enjoy them all.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2015, 09:02 AM
    As was mentioned... its NOT about you looking a few years older than you are.Its probably about ANYTHING other than that.

Part of it is probably misunderstanding signals and body language. Which if it is the case... you are ignoring the ones showing an interest (as Tickle points out) and chasing after the ones that aren't. And getting that first date isn't a sure thing... all it is, is a chance to show who you are... and it might turn out either of you may not see the other as a good fit for whatever reason. It that happens you move on, knowing that initial attraction isn't always a mutual thing... and when it isn't... pursuing anything is a lost cause. Like was mentioned.. it builds character... and how you deal with rejection shows EVERYONE else what kind of person you are. And people DO talk... make a horses rear end out of yourself... everyone is going to hear about it... do it with dignity and grace... and they will hear about that as well. Because the ones being coy....might have their interest spiked if you handle yourself well.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 25, 2015, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbmth521 View Post
    @Tickle heheehe really? Kind of funny at the same time,Thanks! :)

@Talaniman,that has got a lotta sense in it!
    521, have not exactly been 'around the block a few times' but my proposed advice is from a mature woman. Don't let the name fool you !

Tal and Oliver give up front advice but apparently I am the only woman you have heard from so far.

Have fun and don't sweat this out OK. Play the field and enjoy yourself. You and she will know each other when the time comes. I remember the earth moving at that first kiss... you will have signs no doubt.

Tick
    duaaaa Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Aug 25, 2015, 12:45 PM
    Hello there, enjoy your life . You are only 18 years old. Be patient as long as you wait for the great chance you will get it perfectly. Don't worry, be open to life and specific in your choices.

In secret I'm 25 and I like to be with 37 - 40 man. I don't care about ages because the age is numbers! The most important thing is the personality :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 25, 2015, 12:46 PM
    I'm a woman... it's typical at 18 to think that rejection is caused by some concrete 'thing' about you. Wrong! It's far more complicated than that. If you had bad breath or weighed as much as a hippo, maybe. Certainly not looking a few years older.
    I can't stand this whole 'proposing' thing. You hang out in groups and goof around and suddenly launch right into being a boyfriend? No way. You ask a girl if she wants to go get an ice cream, just the two of you. A casual, spur of the moment date. That leads to a planned date to a movie or dinner, and you do that many times before you 'propose.' Where I'm from, proposing is just for marriage.

Being liked isn't about clothes either. It's about showing interest, genuine interest, in someone. As you learn about her, you tell her little things about yourself. You let her know what you like about her and what things you share about life. NOTHING is more likable than someone who likes other people. You aren't on show, like a race horse, waiting to see who likes you.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2015, 09:48 AM
    You have gotten some great advice, so I'm just going to take a different approach.
    My intention is not to offend but practical advice.
    The ugliest guy on the planet can get any girl he wants if he is confident.

I'm going to give a big sweeping statement here, looks matter to 18 year old girls.
    So get a good haircut, a decent shave or grow a beard ( very on trend right now).
    Have a look at your wardrobe, need new clothes?
    And finally, who better to help you with this makeover, that's right my friend 18 year old girls!
    Get your thinking cap on, ask two or three girls you know well to help, pay for lunch, and then invite the one you really like for dinner as a special thank you for all her help etc etc.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2015, 05:57 PM
    My last dating experience, I was dating girls 15 years younger than me. (ok, that would not work for you. LOL)

But yes really girls often prefer men a few years older, And mature women care less about looks and more about personality. If you look 25, but act like a 16 year old, there may be the problem.

Also why do you "look" older, hair an be colored, or styled, clothing changed, what is it about your looks?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do I look much older? [ 20 Answers ]

I am older than my boyfriend and often wonder if I look that much older than him. It's an area that I feel most insecure about. Please tell me what you think. Thanks. >photo and personal info removed for Internet safety/T<

I want to look older [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any ways whether its certain specific clothes or a certain style of applying makeup and such to make yourself look older?

Marry older man?just a little older! [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: someone keep telling me that it is good for a girl marries a man who is a little older than her! Cause older man knows more how to take care of others,how to respect others... but for young men,what they care about is themselves only!Is that true?I was thinking about that for many...

If your older sister dies are you now the older sister [ 1 Answers ]

The ? Is if your older sister or brother was to die does that make you the older brother or sister later on in life.

View more questions Search