Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Javer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2005, 10:36 PM
    Questions about counterpunching.
    I had a few holes in my knowledge that need filling in.. . Can anyone help? I know of two types of counters -- the "stop counter", which relies simply on punching first so as to interrupt the opponent, and the "cross counter", in which one lowers the head, crosses the back arm over the opponent's extended one (if they're using a jab or a straight), and strikes to the head with a hook.

1. Are these types of counters real ones, or are my sources wrong in any way?

2. Are there any other methods of countering? If so, how are they performed?
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Mar 26, 2005, 01:51 PM
    Counter-striking
    Javer,

You asked interesting questions. They indicate that you seek a deeper knowledge of your sport. You are standing on the line that separates a sport from an art. You ask questions that might take some many years to even think to ask, let alone discover an answer. Let me address them as you asked them:

1. Are these types of counters real ones, or are my sources wrong in any way? (Stop-counter and Cross-counter)
    The Stop-counter-
    The Stop-counter or Stop-hit is real. Although it does not actually start before an opponent attacks. It only appears that way. Using a Stop-hit requires the boxer to "read" when and how an opponent will attack and then strike an openning before or just as the attacking movement starts. An attack actually starts with preparatory physical positioning and physiological signs of mental preparation for an upcoming explosive action. These actions are actually the "start" of an attack. So you see, a Stop-hit only appears to start before the attack. It only starts before the mechanical part of an attack begins.
    Here is something to ponder: Can you cause an opponent to attack at the time you wish, to the target you wish, and with the weapon you wish? If so, how?

The Cross-counter-
    The Cross-counter is a true counter. A counter is a reaction to an attack with a preventative move and then an attack that takes advantage of the final position of the opponent after his or her attack is complete or during the attack. You mentioned striking over the top of the opponents extended arm.
    Consider this: Can you counter strike the body? If so, how?
    ... Can you attack the head in a striaght line from a different
    ... angle? If so, how?
    ... Can you counter-attack the head using a circular or corkscrew
    ... motion?
    ... If so, how?

2. Are there any other methods of countering? If so, how are they performed?
    The answer is yes; There are three that come to mind immediately:
    Are you aware that you can prevent an opponent from even thinking to attack a certain way by (a) your body position and (b) your actons? (c) There is a technique called a Bridge-punch that martial artists use which can be applied to boxing.
    (a) Most boxers know about bobbing and weaving. Most boxers know about popping jabs to keep an opponent off-balance. That is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about positioning your arms, hands, feet, and body to make your opponent uncomfortable to throw a certain technique.
    For example: If you know your opponent has a strong right hook, you might want to make it hard for him to use it. Two tactics would make it uncomfortable for an opponent to throw that right hook. First, when you attack you should step slightly further to the opponent's left then normal and your right foot should finish outside and slightly behind the opponent's left foot. Continue your recovery from your attack by sliding away to his left with your right foot and into your stance. Second, when your opponent attacks, slide toward him to his left as you slip and counter or away in a circling motion to his left. It is difficult to throw a right hook when your opponent is always moving to your left.

When you want him to throw the hook, simply move normally and wait for your opportumity to counter it. He will eat up the opportunity because he has been frustrated up to now.

(b) Boxers are taught to look for certain positional ques to decide what punches to throw.
    For example, if an opponent always drops his or her right as he or she throws a left jab, you might counter by slipping and throwing your own left (jab or hook) to the head. Knowing this, you can drop your right a time or two as you throw a jab and then keep doing it until your opponent tries the counter. When it comes you can slip and counter-hit.

(c) The Bridge-punch crosses under and inside of the opponent's punch to your head, deflecting it. You catch the opponent's punch with your forearm just below your elbow as you extend your arm to punch to his chin. When you turn your punch over do it earlier and continue turning it 90 degress more than usual. This adds your opponents downward force to your punch, giving you more power. As you execute this technique you should move forward diagonally to your opponents right. Remember to keep your chin tucked unless your like getting punched in the chin.

Let's continue this dialog---
    Oldcoach
    TAPSILOG Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Mean
    I agree, but someone I know in feather w. he hit like a storm if I'm not wrong this pacman, manny pacquiao, is like a lightning most counter puncher, can't coupe with it speed, there just hiting the canvas!
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jul 13, 2005, 06:58 PM
    To Tapsilog--- Mean
    You Said:

I agree, but someone I know in feather w. he hit like a storm if I'm not wrong this pacman, manny pacquiao, is like a lightning most counter puncher, can't coupe with it speed, there just hiting the canvas!

I Said:
    There is a saying: "It's hard to beat speed" that is mostly true. In fact, All the qualities that make a superb fighter mix together to create what he is. There is speed, quickness, stamina, power, experience, technique, aggressiveness, and heart. Then there are different styles of fighters. Have you ever seen a guy that seems unbeatable beaten by a lesser boxer? Sometimes a person's mix of qualities just doesn't match the lesser boxers mix and the better man loses. Have you ever seen a trained martial artist get beat by an awkward newbi? That is why we should train with many styles and levels of fighters. Learning to quickly size up and dispose of an opponent is what keeps them from getting that lucky punch in. That is why I teach to never play with fighting techniques unless it is truly a practice situation. In a real situation, you want to end it quickly.

My whole point is: Speed can be beaten by a combination of the other qualities, but the other qualities must be overwhelming.

Tell me, is Pacman an brawler or a boxer? Is he usually the aggressor or is he just fast and accurate. Does he throw combinations or bombs. Is his timing polished or is he awkward?

Sincerely,
    Oldcoach

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H-1B and W-2 Questions [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was under H-1B for the whole of 2005, and I have completed 1040-EZ. I took the standard $8200 deduction ($5000 plus $3200), and it turns out that I owe about $900. My company handled all the papers and forms for the H-1B in late 2004, and I am just concerned, since I am assuming that it...

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

F1-OPT-H1B tax questions [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading various threads on this forum to get an answer to my questions. I am hoping that I can get the best advice/answers from all the experts (especially, ATE), who are well informed by now. I had been on F1 from May 17, 1998 -- Aug 31, 2005. Switched to OPT on Sep 1, 2005 Went...

View more questions Search