Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 19, 2015, 06:37 PM
    Are you afraid of spiders? If so, why?
    Having a conversation on fb in a private group, about spiders.

I have to ask, why the fear?

If you're afraid of spiders, can you tell me why? Not "oh they're creepy, and they give me the creeps", but a legitimate reason?

I'd love to know what the reasons are for people to fear them. I've held everything from a common household spider, to a tarantula, to a black widow, and never been bitten. So why the fear? What's the reason? I'd love to know.

If your reason is that they could be poisonous, I'd suggest research. That's a bad reason unless you're living in a hut in the jungle in some remote country. If you're in the US or Canada, that's a non issue.

So why?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2015, 06:49 PM
    As a small child, my husband watched a scary spidery horror movie with his big brother and has hated spiders ever since. One summer we spent a week in his mother's friend's northern Wisconsin cottage that was filled with daddy long legs -- thought my husband would leave early, but he toughed it out somehow.

I used to be fascinated by spiders and their webs (even the black widow in our basement doorway ceiling) and have never minded them.

My older son rescues them from our cats, uses a Mason jar to catch them and release them outside to be wild and free.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 19, 2015, 07:40 PM
    Personally I love spiders. My ex boyfriend is an entomologist, still a good friend, and has done a great deal to displace the myth that spiders are dangerous. Sadly many people are still afraid of them, despite all evidence that unless you're living in a jungle where poisonous spiders are prevalent, there's nothing to fear.

Being bitten by a spider is very rare, you have a better chance of being bitten by a teacup poodle. Even if you're bitten, the chances of dying from that bite is very rare, unless you're living in the jungle I mentioned before.

Spiders have a bad rep, and fear of them is learned, taught from one generation to the next.

I've handled everything from a small household spider, to a tarantula, to a black widow. I allow and feed spiders in my home. I've never once had a spider bite me.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 20, 2015, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    If your reason is that they could be poisonous, I'd suggest research.
    ALL spiders have venom. Whether the venom is dangerous enough to be called poisonous depends on the species of biter and bitee.

That being said, spiders are my friends. They catch mosquitoes. Reason #2: they catch insects better than any monitoring device available in my work.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 20, 2015, 04:15 AM
    I am not a afraid of them, but when bitten, receive a very nasty sore. They seem to like crawling inside a warm piece of clothing and when that happens, rarely, it just happens to be something I am putting on. They don't like to be trapped or swatted at, so fight back by nipping !
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 20, 2015, 05:39 AM
    When I was a child our german shepherd was bitten by a black widow. She had to have part of her upper and lower lip area removed, but she survived. I don't like black widows, needless to say. But, I don't scream when I see them. As a teacher, I have to be brave around the Kinders.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spiders! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All I had some garden work done and since then we have had horrid big spider throughout the house and sometimes there are even on the sofa and this is horrible when wanting to come home and relax. Every time I come into the property I check all floors tables and sofa and even my bed I am...

Spiders [ 9 Answers ]

Does it matter if the cocunut oil is deodorized

Spiders [ 6 Answers ]

I found a small spider that I didn't recognize, are all spiders poisonous? This spider was brown with the underside black, it was about a half inch in diameter. What affect would a spider bite have? Do they bite? Or sting? Can someone educate me on this. Thank you ----zeke----

Large Spiders. Spiders in Pine Trees [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, another pest question while I'm here in the pest section! What can be done to deter spiders? This is amazing, one day recently we had a tarantula in our house, it was up on a wall kind of in the corner. It was about the size of a ladies' palm, legs included. We captured it and set it...

View more questions Search