Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aslann Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2015, 07:29 AM
    JD L111 w/ 38" mower engine drive belt idler pulley spring
    Hi Clarke,

It's the BOTTOM spring in this pic. I can't find a part # even at JD online. If nothing else, the dimensions would be helpful. Thank you! Steve
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2015, 06:45 PM
    John Deere Idler Arm Spring - GX10120
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 25, 2015, 07:57 AM
    Name:  jd38lte.jpg
Views: 4738
Size:  25.4 KB
    Hi,
    Pictured is an STX38 yellow deck. The spring you ask about is indeed the one the tensions the belt coming from the engine, but is not you deck.
    Your deck is pictured here.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 25, 2015, 12:31 PM
    This is NOT my deck. I have TWO mower drive belts, one from the engine to the mower at the TOP of the idler spindle, and a second one from the bottom of the idler pulley to the TWO blades,(and there is a third one from the engine to the transmission) but the idler in question is only for the engine-clutch-to-deck, the SECOND idler and spring keeps tension on the blades' separate belt. The picture I included is indeed my deck, and the BOTTOM spring in the picture is the one I need, and no one knows what it is. Its diameter is about .875-1.00" and its length at rest is about 5" give or take. Sorry to be grumpy. It doesn't help that this mower is 30 years old.

Aug 25, 2015, 03:27 PM
    Hi,
    Then you do not have an L111, but instead have an older, by about 20 years, that had an 11 HP Briggs and a 38" deck. The picture you have should be correct, though I will certainly double0check myself. I have many unpublished pictures stored on multiple devices locally.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 25, 2015, 03:47 PM
    Hi,
    Again, according to John Deere - Parts Catalog
    The part number is M71684, no dimensions stated but it is a custom spring.
    Peace,
    Calrke

Aug 25, 2015, 04:58 PM
    Hi Clarke,

Found it here:

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Tightener-Spring--M71684_p_9485.html

This is the guy. And I wouldn't have found it out there without your number. I had tried about 20 searches at that store, and that spring never came up. So well done, my man, I appreciate your being out there for me.

Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the idler pulley number on mower deck for a scotts 1642h [ 1 Answers ]

I need the idler pulley number for the scotts1642h, the mower deck.

Idler pulley tension spring [ 2 Answers ]

Craftsman 48" mower deck idler pulley tension spring part number. Model # of tractor is 917.273241

Removing Engine Drive Pulley from B&S 14HP [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Snapper LT140H38ABV 38" 14 HP Hydro Drive Tractor Series A with B&S 14hp motor Model# 287707-0228-01. I want to replaced the engine crankcase gasket as it has a serious leak. How do I remove the dual belt pulley from crankshaft ? I've removed the bolt from the end of the shaft but it seem...

Sears 54" mower deck - belt idler [ 14 Answers ]

I have to replace the belt idler on my Sears 54" mower deck. I am not sure where it goes. i.e. inside the belt or outside the belt? Does it go to the step side and be parallel to the centerline? I have a manual but it is not very clear. I called the Sears 800 number. The first guy said the idler...

Craftsman rear engine riding mower drive belt pulley alignment [ 1 Answers ]

The drive belt that propels the machine keeps coming off the idler pulley. It appears that the idler pulley is positioned we below the other two pulleys. Is there a way to move the idler pulley up so it aligns with the others.

View more questions Search