Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesli50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2015, 03:40 PM
    Old Up Right Player piano with ivory keys
    Hello

I have an old player piano with ivory keys. I want to sell the keys if that is possible. I live in California. Can I sell the ivory keys and just get rid of the rest of the piano. This was given to me and I have no use for an up right player piano.
    Thanks
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 04:09 PM
    Your best bet is to call piano repair shops and ask them. They could give you an idea of what every part is worth. They may buy it outright and save you some trouble.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 07:56 PM
    Are you positive the keys are actually ivory?

I don't think you can sell the ivory. At least not in California. CAL. PEN. CODE § 653o : California Code
    (a) It is unlawful to import into this state for commercial purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any polar bear, leopard, ocelot, tiger, cheetah, jaguar, sable antelope, wolf (Canis lupus), zebra, whale, cobra, python, sea turtle, colobus monkey, kangaroo, vicuna, sea otter, free-roaming feral horse, dolphin or porpoise (Delphinidae), Spanish lynx, or elephant. - See more at: CAL. PEN. CODE § 653o : California Code
    It goes on to say that selling and importing to sell are banned but owning it for personal use (such as the piano) is still legal. You might need to consult a lawyer, piano restorer, or antiques dealer who knows the laws, both state and federal, to help you decide how to dispose of the piano/keys.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2015, 02:24 AM
    You will find that there are some on sale on Ebay still. But from my reading of Federal Law, unless the piano is over 100 years old, and unless they keys have not been replaced or worked on, they can not be sold legally ( even the piano could not be sold with the keys) This appears to be new laws at Federal level, State laws vary and there does not appear to be an enforcement behind the Federal laws (although they are in place)

So while many people are selling, it appears it is not legal, unless over 100 years old and on the piano.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ivory piano keys 1906 piano [ 1 Answers ]

1906 original Fisher piano.

Ivory piano keys [ 0 Answers ]

I have an old upright from 1918 with ivory & ebony keys, Can anyone tell me if the keys are legal to be sold in Australia & how much they would be worth?

Value of ivory keys to old piano? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old upright piano that is poor condition so rarely played. We are going to dismantle it and I was wondering if there is any value to the old ivory keys?

Used ivory piano keys? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody have any old ivory piano keys that they want to sell. I would like to buy a number of them if we can agree on a sensible price

Old ivory piano keys [ 1 Answers ]

I have two very old pianos, both with ivory keys. Where can I sell them,part them out or just try yo get some of my money back? One of them is a 1910 Hobart M. Cable Upright & the other one is so old I can't find the maker however it says Archabald Ramsden Ltd. Londen. Hand painted on front...

View more questions Search