Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kam_lee_12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2015, 08:42 PM
    Can I take a pregnancy test this week?
    Hi, I am very new to hi pregnancy thing, but can I take a pregnancy test 4-5 day before my period is due ( in my case 14-1 days after sex)?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 01:59 AM
    You wait till after you miss your period. Normally at least one week after. If Neg. wait another ween and do it again.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2015, 06:46 AM
    There are some pregnancy testing products on the market that can pick up low levels of the pregancy hormone, however I would advice caution using these as you could get a false negative if the hormone levels are not high enough. Usually by the time you have missed a period there are sufficient levels present. Then of course confirmation from a doctor.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 06:51 AM
    A lot of pregnancy tests claim they can detect a pregnancy before your period but if you read the fine print you will realize that they can in just over 50% of the cases, and under less then normal conditions. You can try but dollars to donuts, you will see nothing. The tests look for a hormone whose production ramps up in the early stages of pregnancy. Most tests have a specific threshold that they'll give you a positive result. There are ways to game the test one way or another. The best way to take the test to give you the earliest result is to use the first urination of the morning. After that your urine is a little more dilute and as such the hormone excreted will be too, won't be enough to give you a positive result. The best time to take it is at least a week but best to be two weeks after a missed period.

A missed period is a difficult thing as well. You will have wonky periods, sometimes early, sometimes late, and it's all normal. Hormones control your body, and they vary over your life. So being a day or two or even a week late is normal. Being two weeks... unless you have severely irregular periods, not so much.

Two weeks after a missed period, using early morning urine. That is the best advice we can give.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spotting @ 5 Week and Negative pregnancy test [ 1 Answers ]

Here goes my story , we have been trying to have a baby since I had a miscarriage in 2010, from last 3 months I have started taking folic acid and was about to go for consultation for fertility issue this month but ma periods were late( I think folic acid has worked this time), as it was due on...

I haven't had a period 6 week and I have done pregnancy test but it said negative [ 1 Answers ]

I had a baby 12 weeks ago and I have had umprotected sex since then and I haven't had a period for 6 week I have done 4 pregnancy tests and they all said negertive could I still be pregnant?

Negative pregnancy test, but I'm a week late, I think. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm honestly not sure how late I am because I'm trying not to keep track so much. I am trying to get pregnant, but over the past several months of trying and calculating, my mind can't take the constant worrying and waiting. I believe I'm a week late, maybe a few days more or less. I've had some...

No period over a week, negative pregnancy test [ 1 Answers ]

Im very confused, I was due on my period on 3rd sept and its now the 10th, I am never late on for my period. On the 6th I was unable to attend work as I had extreme pain in my stomach area, it felt like trapped wind but also like bad period pain, I couldn't stand up properly as it felt painful...

View more questions Search